Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 'mohair' type yarn and just cannot seem to find a pattern that would be suitable for this type of yarn, other than the garter stitch.

Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.
thanks.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I have a pattern for a beautiful cowl done with mohair. I also recently did a scarf that you join together and wind around your neck, also done with a mohair and linen blend. I also just finished a shawl for a friend with mohair. It's real easy: big needles like #17, cast on three stitches, increase at the beginning and end of each row, continue till you run out of yarn. (or about 94 sts) I made one of these a number of years ago and always get compliments on it. Besides, it is so very warm. Just all knit, too. I found the results for these things really pretty but sometimes the mohair was ARGH to work with. Good luck with your projects. jb

·
Registered
453 Posts
I made this out of mohair, plying two yarns of mohair of different shades together.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-4154-1.html

I did it with one LESS increase row than the red one in the pic, giving it less curl and more of a vision of the lace effect of the fabric created:

I used #8 48" circular needle

Cast on 110 stitches. I used the long tail cast on.

Row 1 - Knit

Row 2 and all even numbered rows, purl

Roe 3 - K 1, *YO, K 1; repeat from * (219 stitches)

Row 5 - Knit

Row 7 - K 1, *YO, K 1; repeat from * (437 stitches)

Row 9 - Knit

Bind off in knit

I will post a pic the scarf - it is lovely in mohair....

·
Registered
453 Posts
Claire said:
I made this out of mohair, plying two yarns of mohair of different shades together.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-4154-1.html

I did it with one LESS increase row than the red one in the pic, giving it less curl and more of a vision of the lace effect of the fabric created:

I used #8 48" circular needle

Cast on 110 stitches. I used the long tail cast on.

Row 1 - Knit

Row 2 and all even numbered rows, purl

Roe 3 - K 1, *YO, K 1; repeat from * (219 stitches)

Row 5 - Knit

Row 7 - K 1, *YO, K 1; repeat from * (437 stitches)

Row 9 - Knit

Bind off in knit

I will post a pic the scarf - it is lovely in mohair....
Here it is....

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have found patters other than garter st in mohair useless....the yarn is so fuzzy the stitches lose definition. I just knit plain and rely on the beauty of the yarn, not the pattern stitch.
(just my opinion)
Forest

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I've done mohair sweaters with lace and cables and found the patterns clearly visible, although with less clear definition than when working with a smoother yarn. I'd experiment with swatching , sometimes using larger needles, to see what you like. You might be surprised and that what makes knitting so much fun.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Good morning! Here are the two shawls I did with mohair yarn and just a plain garter stitch. Also a mohair cowl which was a bit more complicated. Good luck with your projects. jb

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom