Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Mohair is not difficult to knit with. It is difficult to frog (rip-it). Very difficult. It sheds while knitting, also.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
A vest, a scarf or a short jacket; anything.

Try knitting pattern central.com. They have gobs of scarf, vest, and poncho patterns that would work.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
First of all you don't say how many yards each ball is. Mohair can be a "difficult" fiber at times, as has already been mentioned in the case of frogging. I prefer to work mohair with another strand of yarn to give the item more "body". Mohair garments tend to be "flimsy". Generally I will work mohair with a strand of lightweight merino or alpaca from the same color family or a neutral color. You could do this and make a vest using the 5 same color balls and use the other two for the "trim" (waistband, neckband and armhole bands) IF you have enough yardage. A vest is going to require about 700 - 900 yards (depending on style and size). If you don't have that much, then you need to look at hat/scarf/neck cozy patterns.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
It depends on the garment if mohair is flimsy or not. Specifically, the size of the gauge. My 1st knitted garment was a mohair sweater. Way back in the late 60's when they were the "in" appearal item. It was not flimsy at all. And warm....whoa! Knitting a fine mohair on #15 needles would be flimsy, but so would any fine yarn. Plus, using even a lightweight merino or alpaca will change the gauge of the yarn blend. And just try matching the colors. Then there's the change of the drape. Mohair drapes wonderfully, change the yarn, change its characteristics.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
With only 5 balls of one color it would be impossible to knit a "tight" garment, so the only way to use this small amount of yarn would be to make a "loose" and "flimsy" garment, or blend with another fiber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom