Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the idea of felted slippers but I think I am going to have to give it up until I have a top loading washing machine. I’ve tried the three different patterns. The one with fringe is a drops pattern and so cute but I’m not keen on how it’s designed as it’s knit flat with a seam under the foot and up the back. The one with a rolled ankle is just a basic toe up sock sized up and takes advantage of the stockinet urge to curl. Best construction but was still a guess to get it to correct size. Made for me but fits DH so that was lucky for him. The last one is also knit flat but the seam is on top and also to close the heel which is good but the toe looks bulbous to me and again multiple washes that didn’t shrink and then accidentally once through the dryer left it wearable but kind of malshaped.

Anyway, all toes will be warm but I’m not particularly excited by the lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mamakaren said:
You could try a laundromat.
Unfortunately, the front loaders are really popular here and it seems to be what everyone has - even our one and only laundrette. The front loaders won't let you open and check, nor do they have that really important agitator so it ends up being so much guess work and luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alpaca Issy said:
They look good - I was told not to use any yarn for felting that was not 100% wool.
I've read a few things that say you can use blends as long as it's all natural material. I used 100% wool that says it will felt and it does. It's by drops called BIG DELIGHT print. My biggest issue was how to control the process and I just couldn't do it with my washing machine... or my laundry assistant(DH) who just throws everything in the dryer.????????

·
Registered
287 Posts
Try boiling them on the stovetop. I buy old wool sweaters at thrift stores and when they don’t felt enough in the washer I boil them in plenty of water agitating with a long wooden spoon. This usually does the job.

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
How about a laundramat? Find one with machines with agitators and run them all through on all hot water with some plain soap. Most laundramats do have heavy duty machines that agitate. If you want to wash some shoes or jeans at the same time fine. Just take them home to shape and dry.
My machine is one step above two rocks in a creek and items felt really quickly.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
The socks look nice but why wouldn’t a front loader felt as well as a top loader? Someone said the door can’t be opened to check the degree of felting, but maybe double-check. I can pause the cycle and open the door on mine. I LOVE my front loading washing machine (but I don’t do felting).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mattie cat said:
I bought this just for felting and it is perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T53TNDF/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_V-s0FbTJVDAF4
That link takes me to this:
Fastrax Compact Hauler Bag
Brand: Fastrax
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 ratings
Price: £80.27 & FREE Delivery

How does that work to felt? Or maybe it's a different link depending on the country you are in?

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
I think part of the problem with the washing machines is when you push that button for HOT, it's not all hot water that goes into the washer. Mine won't do straight hot water, I tired boiling, that helped some. I ended up putting the hat I was felting in with jeans on heavy soil in the hottest water and they did felt then. to get a good shape, partially dry them then put them on and wear them until they are dry. Shape them to your feet while damp, it can take a while to dry them.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom