Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a child's top down sweater (Tiny Top Down #608). Markers are placed before 4 shapeline stitches and then increases. the instructions are to M1 before and after marker. The instructions never indicate if it is M1R or M1L. So do I just make them all the same or.... Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,943 Posts
Hi,
M1 means to pick up the strnad of yarn between the stitches.When I do this I pick the yarn up, put it on the left needle, then I twist it once before I knit into it. Prevents a hole.
Hope this helps.
Linda

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It works very well as explained, but of course for those of us who are left handed you always have to remember to do the opposite. It takes getting used to.
For those who are left handed there are many companies now writing instructions for both which of course, makes the going faster and easier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
dogorman53 said:
I am making a child's top down sweater (Tiny Top Down #608). Markers are placed before 4 shapeline stitches and then increases. the instructions are to M1 before and after marker. The instructions never indicate if it is M1R or M1L. So do I just make them all the same or.... Thanks in advance.
I recently had this same issue while knitting a k1, p1 ribbing. If you don't m1 twice, it throws the ribbing off..........does anyone know how to handle this?

I have tried everything and cannot get it to work out, it looks terrible...........

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
dogorman53 said:
Is the marker on a stitch or between stitches?
This makes a difference.

If there is not specific numbers mentioned, you can just K front and back but remember this creates a wee purl looking bar which will show.
A M1 is often done by picking up the bar between the stitches but then you will need to Knit that stitch and work the second M1 before the next stitch.

Does your pattern tell you, in the Abbreviations, how to do the M1?

I think the main thing you need to do is keep it the same so whichever method you use, it will all match.

Have fun.
Colleen.
PS, Maybe you can take some waste yarn and try a few different ways.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
edgewalker said:
dogorman53 said:
I recently had this same issue while knitting a k1, p1 ribbing. If you don't m1 twice, it throws the ribbing off..........does anyone know how to handle this?

I have tried everything and cannot get it to work out, it looks terrible...........
Depends what you are making but it will correct itself on the next row so just knit or purl the extra sitches where the increase is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aggie May said:
dogorman53 said:
Is the marker on a stitch or between stitches?
This makes a difference.

If there is not specific numbers mentioned, you can just K front and back but remember this creates a wee purl looking bar which will show.
A M1 is often done by picking up the bar between the stitches but then you will need to Knit that stitch and work the second M1 before the next stitch.

Does your pattern tell you, in the Abbreviations, how to do the M1?

I think the main thing you need to do is keep it the same so whichever method you use, it will all match.

Have fun.
Colleen.
PS, Maybe you can take some waste yarn and try a few different ways.
The marker is between stitches and my directions do not tell me anything. I usually pick up the yarn between stitches and m1 by knitting into the back of the lifted stitch. But you can't do this twice which is what you would have to do to keep the rib pattern..........a real puzzle for me

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Becca said:
Elizabeth Zimmermann explained this well with her Baby Surprise Jacket. Do a M1Right on the right side of the marker and M1Left on the left side of the marker.

Hope this helps.

Becca
Thats how I would have done it myself either side of the marker never gave it a thought to do it any other way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom