Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cats use my open window, but I almost close my flyscreen sliding window at night because it's a pain re-opening it as the computer etc is there. :-( My cat has never opened it since I did that. :) He can if there's room and also open the sliding door if there's room for a paw :roll: It was cold, wet and stormy last night, so imagine my surprise when my granddaughter's Leo came strolling in :shock: He must have been on the window sill just keeping going till the window opened. I then had to catch him and chuck him out :) He's a bit of a bully and is always after any left over wet food Sooty leaves but I'm also getting cute and hiding it :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My cat is a 5 year old spayed female Himalayan who is strictly an indoor cat and never allowed outside.

She is very content to remain a Princess in her home - free from harm by other animals, and loves getting her long, silky fur brushed every day free from mats.

Most indoor cats after being kept inside get use to the idea and are too scared to go outside in a world that is frigtening to them.

Another advantage - no fleas being brought inside your home!

·
Registered
885 Posts
No fleas! That is a big advantage. My girls have been indoor cats for 16 years. I have brought a flea or two in myself but a sprinkle of borax around the floors takes care of them.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
My kitty is a indoor cat also .. I waited a long time after my last cat disapeared before we got another cat.. my last cat survived 8 years in the country with all the racoons,coyotes,porcupines, and skunks.. plus lots more that I can't think of off the top of my head and we move to town and she is gone.. so this Kitty is 7 and she only goes out if we are right there.. we leave the back door open and she can come out for a little bit then back in..
KnottyMe said:
No fleas! That is a big advantage. My girls have been indoor cats for 16 years. I have brought a flea or two in myself but a sprinkle of borax around the floors takes care of them.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
All of the cats I've had in my current lifetime have been raised/kept indoors. My veterinarian feels that it's the safest & healthiest way to keep a cat for a pet. No fleas, no health problems from encounters with "wild" animals, no danger of being killed by vehicular traffic, no chance of "mysterious disappearance". Our pets live & have lived long happy, pampered lives, & we always adopted from shelters or kitty rescues. At present, our two are 14 years old & happy as can be, wonderful company.
Of course, some people keep cats for other purposes aside from pets, such as mousers/barn cats to keep check on the rodent population. It's all in what your lifestyle requires.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I need to elaborate on my love for cats - ALL were kept indoors and lived long lives. The average age of an outdoor cat is only about 5 years due to all the hazards they have to face while outside.

Indoor cats can live very happily for up to 20 years+.

My first cat was a "resue" that I drove all the way to Boston, Mass. (my sister lived there)to pick up "Cuddles" - a long hair Calico spayed female. She lived until the Fatty Liver Syndrome ended her life at the age of 15.

I swore I would never put myself in another position of the pain of losing a beloved pet -BUT- after 3 months of coming home to an empty house with no pet to greet me, changed my mind.

The, I noticed an advertisement in the paper "Free Himalayan to a quiet and loving home" with a telephone number to call after 5 PM. I waited two days before calling and was shocked to find out this woman was screening ALL the calls (over 60 of them)of people inquiring about this cat and was NOT satisfied with any of the answers they were giving her.

We talked for about 5 minutes and then she invited me to her home to meet "Mora" - an 8 year old female Himalayan. I drove the 15 miles and when I arrived, "Mora" was hiding under her owner's bed. After getting her to come out, she brought "Mora" into the room where I was and I just gasped at how beautiful she was. When "Mora" was placed on the floor, I put the back of my hand down for her to smell me and she came right over to me, put her head down and let me pet her. It was a match made in Heaven between the two of us.

I brought her home and kept her in my bedroom for a week to let her feel secure and get use to her new home. "Mora" turned out to be a very classy, elegant, lady who was the love of my life. She lived to be 20 and died from kidney failure and her rear legs couldn't hold up her body. She is buried right outside of my bedroom window.

From experience, I knew I would not want to live without another Himalayan cat (which are very hard to find) and started searching on Petfinder's Web Site for another one. After a 2 week search, I found "Cecilia" a 3 year Breeder Himalayan Cat from Kentucky where the owner got sick and couldn't take care of the cats anymore. All were sent to a Vet where they were netured/spayed, up to date shots, and shipping out to various Shelters. "Cecilia" was sent to a Shelter approximately 300 miles from my home. I had to be approved and submitted an application before "Cecilia" would be turned over to me. I drove 4 hours to pick her up, and another 4 hours to bring her home.

That was over 2 years ago, and she is a "talker" and provides me with the companionship and love that most cats do. If I should pass away and leave "Cecilia" behind, my son will become his adoptive Dad as he also has loved cats since he was 8 years old and has two of his own.

When I get talking about my cats, I get carried away and usually say too much!!!! Sorry if this story has bored anyone - LOL.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Thank you, SharonK1. I loved each one of them with all my heart while they were with me.

Did you know that cats are much more intelligent than dogs?

My neice went to College and became a Veternary Assistant and learned this amazing fact while taking one of her college courses. Since cats are so intelligent, that is why they choose to do what they want to do - when they are ready to do it!!! No one can "force" a cat to do anything they don't want to do.

This is why I've always said that the highest compliment anyone can receive is when a cat jumps on your lap purring and shows you how much they love you.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ummm. Well, maybe cats are more intelligent. One of my old gals woke me up before 7 am hollering and she followed me around all day hollering. The reason? I finally figured it out later. She had placed a hairball in her favorite napping place, making it unacceptable for napping. Like I have something to do with it....exactly. I have to do something with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a black and white short hair that doesn't belong to us but lives with us most of the time. We know his owner, who doesn't take care of him. He eats, sleeps and loves to be petted by us. Not so much for being held but sometimes he will sit on my lap for a very short time. We take care of flea care. Right now he is sleeping in the chair right next to me. We love the little bugger.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
cargeo said:
We have a black and white short hair that doesn't belong to us but lives with us most of the time. We know his owner, who doesn't take care of him. He eats, sleeps and loves to be petted by us. Not so much for being held but sometimes he will sit on my lap for a very short time. We take care of flea care. Right now he is sleeping in the chair right next to me. We love the little bugger.
My son had the same experience.

He recently moved into a new house due to a promotion causing him to move out of State. The previous owner had left their cat to fend for herself. It didn't take too long before this cat adopted my son as his caregiver.

For the past year, my son took him to the Vet, paid for all his shots and flea medicine, and fed him every day. He grew to love this cat who he called "Sam" - almost as much as the other 2 cats he called his own.

The other day, his neighbor told him that "Sam" was laying in the grass behind the garage door and had not moved all day. When my son went to investigate, "Sam" was covered with flies and barely breathing, but still alive. My son rushed him to the Vet where "Sam" was diagnosed as being too sick to survive and the kindest thing that could be done for him was to end his suffering. My son held him in his arms while the Vet gave him the shot which released all his suffering. My son buried him underneath his bedroom window.

My son is currently going thru the mourning period that all of us animal lovers do but also knows that he did the best he could to extend "Sam's" life as long as he could.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i wish i had made my cat and indoor cat.free to roam during the day i lock him up each night.the female cats of the neightbour hood would seek him out, and he would go and have his funny.until one morning early i head a ruckus in my drive way, i went out side to see what was happening and found two pitbull cross dogs fighting with my cat, after my husband hunted the dogs from our yard, we call the ranger who found the dogs and told us he would have to pu

·
Registered
725 Posts
i wish i had made my cat and indoor cat.free to roam during the day i lock him up each night.the female cats of the neightbour hood would seek him out, and he would go and have his funny.until one morning early i head a ruckus in my drive way, i went out side to see what was happening and found two pitbull cross dogs fighting with my cat, after my husband hunted the dogs from our yard, we call the ranger who found the dogs and told us he would have to pu

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
sorry this computer cut me off i was saying that the ranger told us he would have to put the dogs down bcause they had an irrisponsible owner. they were locked up and some one broke into the pound and let them out. it resulted in them killing a little girl's dog which they attack while she was out walking

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know how you feel. My daughter has lost several cats that way. In the town she lived in the ranger hated cats and two neighbouring dogs were out every morning, and her gorgeous cat was kiled just before she had her litter of kittens. Even here, she lost one. The annoying thing is that apart from that one, all her cats have been female and sterilised sterilised

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom