Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I have been working on the Heart Baby Blanket, a free pattern on Ravelry. I’™m using Bernat Satin (acrylic) which is the same yarn used in the Ravelry pattern. I even did a swatch before starting to check gauge! However, my blanket doesn’t have the definition that is shown on the pictures of the finished product on Ravelry. Any ideas why mine doesn’t t look as defined and crisp? (I haven’t washed it yet, But I’m not sure that would make a difference.) Maybe I should have used a size smaller needle? Maybe they blocked theirs for the picture? I wanted something that the new mom could just throw in the washer and didn’t need to fuss over, but I’m disappointed that the hearts aren’t more defined. The first picture is the picture from the ravelry pattern and the second picture is mine. Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Looks fine, but if you want it more defined you will need to wash and block it.
But this is what it will look like once the person receiving it washes it themselves and doesn’t block it.
And I’m not suggesting they block it! It’s supposed to be wash and use...

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I have made several blankets using this pattern. Lighter colors show definition better. Also, when I use thicker yarn, such as Caron One Pound, I’ll go up to size US9 needles, and the pattern isn’t defined as well. But, when I’ve used Bernat Satin or Lion Brand Pound of Love using size US8 needles, there is more pattern definition. If overall blanket size isn’t important, you could go down to size US7.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rjkda said:
I have made several blankets using this pattern. Lighter colors show definition better. Also, when I use thicker yarn, such as Caron One Pound, I'll go up to size US9 needles, and the pattern isn't defined as well. But, when I've used Bernat Satin or Lion Brand Pound of Love using size US8 needles, there is more pattern definition. If overall blanket size isn't important, you could go down to size US7.
I used US 7 needles on this one and just made the blanket a little larger. Maybe I should have used US6 to get more defined hearts?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Remember, Ravelry pattern pictures could be taken with good lighting and professional photographers. Your blanket looks just like the pattern picture, just at a different angle. I think you did a fantastic job!!!

I would not steam block it as it could kill the yarn. Just wash and lay flat to let dry and have a look at it again. :sm02:

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
It’s beautiful ????????❗????

Thou, as artists we see things we think are flaws & they are not.

My hubby can tell you where all our wall paper matches are not completely lined up, me I wouldn’t even notice unless it was a different color on wall.

He did wall paper in a few places in our house & he is so finicky particular & fussy.

I think it will be fine once it is washed & dried.
????

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
CarolZ said:
Remember, Ravelry pattern pictures could be taken with good lighting and professional photographers. Your blanket looks just like the pattern picture, just at a different angle. I think you did a fantastic job!!!

I totally agree! Did you look at any of the other projects?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Blocking makes a big difference in anything that is knitted, I never thought it did and made many things that I did not block, I never knew you should until I joined this knitting group I first tried with a pair of socks and found that they looked so much better, blocking evens out your stitches. Some still don’t block and that’s okay each person has their way of doing things. Your blanket turned out really nice and will be fine which ever way you choice. - nice knitting-nanad

·
Premium Member
29,471 Posts
Your blanket is lovely.
For the little difference I bet they pressed the squares like I do for dishcloths for the pattern to "sit" up and look good in pictures. A heavy towel so no damaged is done, the weight is what pops it up more than heat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I was hoping I didn’t do something wrong! Makes sense that blocking and a professional photographer will make it look pretty perfect. On to weaving in the ends and then I’ll wash and dry it. Fingers crossed! Thank you all for the encouraging comments. ????

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
tpaluch said:
I used US 7 needles on this one and just made the blanket a little larger. Maybe I should have used US6 to get more defined hearts?
Maybe next time, just for fun and for comparison. There is no need to redo this one, though. It is beautiful as it is.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom