Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mom passed
away after a very stressful two weeks of sickness. She passed peacefully with myself and my two sisters with her. Since about Aug 8th when she took sick, I have not wanted to knit. I am in the process of make an Aran sweater for a friend and I just can't get myself to pick up the needles. Will this pass?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You will be knitting before too long. You have to take time to grieve and you will be busy with family and friends. My heartfelt sympathy to you in your loss. I was with my mom when she passed away in Nov. last year. When I pick up my knitting needles I can still see her knitting at the nursing home.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
You've been given good advice. Give yourself time. You're going through a time in your life that is one of the hardest to bear. One day you will wake up and realise that your Mum was not your first thought, and then maybe you'll feel like pursuing your hobby again.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Be patient with yourself. You have lost something VERY VERY PRECIOUS and you need time to grieve. It'll still be there when you feel like coming back to your knititng. Give yourself time. () () () () [a few hugs to help you along the way]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gail Sullivan said:
My Mom passed
away after a very stressful two weeks of sickness. She passed peacefully with myself and my two sisters with her. Since about Aug 8th when she took sick, I have not wanted to knit. I am in the process of make an Aran sweater for a friend and I just can't get myself to pick up the needles. Will this pass?
So sorry to hear about your mum, you will be feeling totally exhausted and you need to take the good advice given by your KP friends on here, rest and look after yourself and go back to your knitting when it feels right. God bless.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. Losing a parent at any age is so sad, even if they have been ill and in pain. You are going through the grieving process and it is different for everyone. Accept how you are feeling. Be kind to yourself and don't try to rush things, take your time. It is less than 3 weeks since your mother died and it was a difficult and upsetting 2 weeks or more before that. Relax. Make sure you rest and eat well. You will start knitting again when the time comes. God bless you and your family.

·
Registered
21,412 Posts
So sorry for your loss. That happened to me 2 1/2 years ago when my Mum passed away. I couldn't settle to do anything. It lasted a few weeks then one day I just wanted to knit.
It will pass but this is a very stressful time for you so don't "force" yourself to knit ~ try to relax xx

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
My mum passed away a long time ago but I always feel close to her when I knit, as I'm using her needles, and have my hands where hers once were. Things are so raw for your now, but it will get better as time goes on.

·
Registered
18,401 Posts
Gail Sullivan said:
My Mom passed
I am so glad for all that she went peacefully. The loss is difficult enough as it is. Yes you will knit again, give yourself time. And if your friend can't understand the delay in receiving her sweater, then TOO BAD FOR HER.
We send you our prayers and HUGS, for your healing.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I can not add much that has not already been said, but when my mom passed away 4yrs ago, I had a horrible time, after everything was over and everyone had left..I felt so alone...I didn't knit, crochet, quilt, nothing..had to force myself to eat...well one day I was sitting staring at some tv show, don't even know what it was....and as clear as a bell, I heard my mom tell me, that is enough, you have work to do, you are not done yet...and I sat for a moment and thought about it, and then I got up, cleaned my house, fixed a real meal, and brought out my crafts...I still have bad moments, but I try to remember that my mom would not want me to be sad..and that she will always be with me....and the strength she had when my dad and brother died...and how she tried so hard to handle each day with grace and dignity, and she allowed herself to feel what ever she was feeling at that moment and then moved on...I know in time you will once again feel the need and desire to knit...until then, live one day, hour, minute or moment at a time....and sometimes it WILL be moment by moment...Blessings..Sandi

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
When my sister died I was so devastated. I was fortunate enough sometime later to dream about her. The death of a close relative is so difficult. I will be thinking of you. Time only gave me comfort. Please take each day at a time. I can talk about my sister freely now without feeling the hole that was left. It gets buried deep and can surface but then remember a good memory and things get better. This worked for for me. I am thinking about you and wish you well

·
Registered
48,300 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. Just give yourself a break. Know we're here for you. Write when you feel like it. When you're rested and ready for joy, your knitting will be waiting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom