Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a long cowl only to learn that the person I was making it for loves the colors but hates long cowls! Gotta love the DD. Now I’m half way through this thing and there is no one else to give it to I’m going to take it. So, my solution is to try to make it a cowl that can also be long (wide) enough for a loose hood just over the shoulder cover up to wear on cold days under my coat or alone on a cool day. Now the second dilemma…how to adapt the pattern and make it more narrow or funnel shaped at the head end.
The Ann Norling pattern calls for alternating K2P2 / P2K2 rows with a K 1 row P 1 row between the alternating rows. It was a 220 cast on so it will be just over 36” when completed as is. The yarn is a Lion Brand Tweed Stripes, which is actually two strands twisted together and I have enough of the same dye lot to make the cowl wider than the original 11”.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
you say you have it half way done, it sounds like you are knitting around the neck instead of seaming it on the ends... if that is so just do some short rows.. start by leaving a 6" gap.. (3" before round marker) and turn then knit back to 3" before marker.. place markers at each turn so you know where to turn and just reduce the amount of sitches by about 1 or 2 inches each turn .. this will leave you with a thinner section for the back of the neck.. I hope that is clear.. I am just guessing off the top of my head.. but it sounds like it would work.. or you can just fold that part in half or to the middle when it done. it will be thicker but narrower...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ummmm, I might be missing something here but, why couldn't you just make it shorter so it will adjust to her taste?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I left something out with my question. I have 6" of the 11" done and this is a piece in the round. Do I K2Tog or ssk or what? I want to keep the somewhat basket weave design and not make it look like I just dropped 8 stitiches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom