Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering if anyone has ever gone to Christel's Yarn shop in Anaheim Calif. I know that the shop is not there anymore. It was on Brookhurst St. in the same shopping center as Honey Baked Ham.

Christel was the owner, and Edith who worked there was the best at helping you with any project. Christel also. Does anyone know what happened to the shop and to these wonderful ladies?

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
So many independent yarn shops seem to have a short life span. Maybe she retired? That is what happenedto one of ours. No one bought her out. This also just happened to a BIG quilt shop here. It was an institution and I can't believe it is just plain gone.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My favorite LYS is Playing with Yarn in Knife River, Mn. Judy is generously helpful to everyone who comes into the shop. She often solves problems for folks who have purchased products in another store when that shop's help consists of suggesting they sign up and pay for a class. I hope Judy outlives me by a mile so I can continue enjoying open knitting on a weekly basis and having access to absolutely delicious yarn. What a wonderful way to spend retirement income and time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you been to Newton's Knits? They have a wonderful selection and they are very nice people. I've never been to the store, but I always shop at their booth at the Weaving and Fiber Festival in November in Torrance.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
juliek818 said:
Have you been to Newton's Knits? They have a wonderful selection and they are very nice people. I've never been to the store, but I always shop at their booth at the Weaving and Fiber Festival in November in Torrance.
I live in Encino and never heard of a weaving and fiber festival in Torrance!! Please let me know how I can get on a sign up sheet to find out about it. Sometimes I feel so alone out in the San Fernando Valley. I am visiting my daughter in Baltimore and just shopped up a storm with my sister at Woolstock in Glyndon, MD. I met them at the Vogue knitting show in Los Angeles last September and they were very nice to me, so it was a great excuse to shop across the country.
Mostly however, I buy from Paradise fibers or Yarn.com

Would love to find knitters in my area that get together.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My daughter and I just came back from San Francisco and bought some beautiful yarns from Altier on Divisedero St. The owner was very helpful and friendly.
I also never knew about the festival in Torrance. I would love to go too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in Woodland Hills and I teach Knitting and Crochet at Michael's in Granada Hills at Zelzah and Devonshire.
I'm also a weaver and a member of the Southern California Handweavers Guild. The Weaving and Fiber Festival is always the first sunday of November. Also, you should know the Handweavers Guild of America is having its biannual conference in Long Beach this year in July. look up both online. www.schg.org and www.weavespindye.org.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Grandma Gail said:
My favorite LYS is Playing with Yarn in Knife River, Mn. Judy is generously helpful to everyone who comes into the shop. She often solves problems for folks who have purchased products in another store when that shop's help consists of suggesting they sign up and pay for a class. I hope Judy outlives me by a mile so I can continue enjoying open knitting on a weekly basis and having access to absolutely delicious yarn. What a wonderful way to spend retirement income and time.
Many years I discovered this lovey lys. on a trip with my mom to Duluth. I purchased some lovey yarn and was admiring the sample of a shawl in the store. Right away the lady wrote out the pattern and off started my love affair for making shawls. The nicest part of the day was having lunch and knitting and see Lake Superior. I remember the trip even now and still have a picture of us there. Happy knitting Linda

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You are not alone in the Valley. THere is a good Yarn store in burbank called Unwind. Everyone there is very helpful and many yarns will call out to you. You can see the site on www.ravelry.com They have a big sell coming up that is alwalys fun. Check it out I think you will like it. Happy knitting Linda

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
juliek818 said:
Here we go, a new knitting shop in Encino:
Arlene, Fleur, & Linga
17401 Ventura Blvd #A41
Encino, CA 91316
Tel:- (818) 788-8858
Fax:- (818) 788-8881
www.hookdonknitting.com
Thank you, I saw that was going in the same shopping center above the old Bally's gym that an old yarn shop went out. I am sure to go check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
juliek818 said:
I'm in Woodland Hills and I teach Knitting and Crochet at Michael's in Granada Hills at Zelzah and Devonshire.
I'm also a weaver and a member of the Southern California Handweavers Guild. The Weaving and Fiber Festival is always the first sunday of November. Also, you should know the Handweavers Guild of America is having its biannual conference in Long Beach this year in July. look up both online. www.schg.org and www.weavespindye.org.
I will do that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom