Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are almost 6 and almost 4. I'm not sure if they have the dexterity to hold the needles and yarn at the same time. What size yarn and needles would be best for their little hands. I was thinking of just starting them out with a block of knitting so they can make something for their baby dolls, like a pillow or something. What are your thoughts?

Added a picture so you can see them.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
How very pretty they are.
As to teaching them how to knit. I have taught children of this age. My granddaughter Sarah was 4 when she started. Laila who is just turning 4 wants to learn also. I start them off with size 10 or larger but the short needles. I use a 4ply yarn. I let them pick it out. The first item they make is just all knit, after they get going they can just keep going till they are happy. Most of these items are now blankets for Barbie.
It is always interesting to see how much they have been watching you while you are working.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
I think the 4 yaer old might have trouble with the dexterity ,why not get her a french knitter to start off with? She can get the feel of working with yarn and understand a little about tension let her pick a bright yarn or a verigated would be good as the patterning will keep her interested.

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
I taught my kids at very early ages, one daughter was only 3, she had a bit of trouble keeping the stitches on needles, but after eating some candy got her needles sticky and announced to me that her candy helped her learn to knit. All my kids learned, and many othre relatives and friends were taught by me also, and they all loved it. that was so many years ago, and I have taught many since then also. My fee for teaching others to knit is a smile, nothing more, unless more smiles and a thanks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Have you thought about showing them to knit just using their fingers? I have seen this demonstrated on the Internet, and looks simple enough for kids. Perhaps, smaller needles and making a small item, like a blanket for a baby doll, or a dish/wash cloth might be good also. However, as some have noted here, they might be just the right age to start teaching them. Good luck. By the way, your granddaughters are adorable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm teaching my 6 year old granddaughter crocheting, she hasn't expressed an interest in knitting yet, but I have short needles for her if and when she does. She watches me making baby clothes and she's trying to crochet a baby cap. I have a feeling that will be one that doesn't make it into the charity box.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My daughter was 6 when she really started doing projects on her own. She has done a lot of dishclothes/washclothes. She typically chooses a short size 9 or 10 needles. She prefers other crafts like her loom and scrapbooking more but she explores more now that she has tried needles.

·
Registered
376 Posts
flockie said:
Have you thought about showing them to knit just using their fingers? I have seen this demonstrated on the Internet, and looks simple enough for kids. Perhaps, smaller needles and making a small item, like a blanket for a baby doll, or a dish/wash cloth might be good also. However, as some have noted here, they might be just the right age to start teaching them. Good luck. By the way, your granddaughters are adorable.
I taught my daughter to finger knit and crochet at a young age. They get the concept without struggling with tools.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Used to work at JoAnn store locally. They had a learn to knit kit with short needles perfect for children. They closed our local store and the only store in the area is way west; out of my comfort/drive zone. I am not sure if they still carry it.

·
Registered
32,656 Posts
I taught my 8 year old gd to knit when she was five -- she is doing very well and is currently knitting herself an afghan for her cat.

She knitted dishcloths for the family at christmas.

Tip_ I told her how to tell the knit from the purl stitches.
The knit stitch looks like a "V"
The purl stitch looks like half a donut

I told her when the knitting looks smooth with V stitches that is stocking st.

When the knitting looks rough, with many donuts that is garter stitch
The light went on and she has never questioned her stitches since.

I bought her short size 6 mm (US l0) needles -

I found anything smaller than that was too awkward. She phones me when she has a problem and it has been a wonderful experience.

---
Just to explain her halloween costume. my husband received aortic and mitral cow valves in his heart last year -extremely serious surgery - we went through a dreadfully difficult time and she told her mother that was the only costume she wanted as Papa was saved by a cow. She gave him a cow calendar this year. She is so close to him.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
My eight year old granddaughter learned to crochet in kindergarten at her school's Crochet Club. She has only learned to knit this past year. Her five year old sister isn't interested yet.

When Alyse first learned to crochet, she really loved doing the chain stitch and wanted to make long chains for all her cousins. She told me once that she might keep one of her chains and compare how well she did the chain stitch when she was little with how she would do the chain stitch as an adult. I sure do love that girl - she can always make me laugh!

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I taught a 6 year old how to knit and she taught herself how to crochet. A grandson wanted to learn how to knit, so I bought him some needles and yarn and got him started. Fortunately his other grandmother lives close by to him so she can pick up where I left off!

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I love knitting with my granddaughter. She was six before I thought she'd be old enough to do it without frustration. Crocheting was harder and took her a while to get the tension down in her left hand. Watch out--she's made off with so much of my stash and different size needles! We love to go to our LYS together too.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Lion Brand makes a size 10 set of needles for kids. They are shorter, thereby making it easier for little kids to hold. I got some for myself, because I don't like the longer needles when you only need them to hold a few stitches. As for yarn, a firm worsted weight is good. Lighter colors are easier to see. Verigated yarns are harder to see stitches. Otherwise, any ball of scrap yarn will do. Let them pick their favorite colors.

Here are some good tips from the yarn council: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
A few tips on teaching kidlets how to knit:

1. Bamboo needles and color code the tips with permanent markers; #8-10. This way they can actually see what the needles are doing as you are demonstrating. Metal and plastic needles are too slippery. To smooth out bamboo, especially the tips, rub with wax paper or polish with bees wax and an old rag.

2. Worsted weight yarn; thrift stores are great for supplies.

3. Teach them the continental version of knitting. If you don't know how, there are plenty of videos available. I like to watch the "Russian Knit Stitch (thru back)" video on you tube; I knit thru the back loop but you won't be teaching this yet.

4. Loom knitting, finger knitting and knitting spools are great fun for little ones.

Have fun.

Becca

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just sat knitting with three granddaughters last night. It was the first attempt for the six year old. After successfully knitting one row of twenty stitches without help she announced "next time you teach me, I'll be able to knit blindfolded." If only I had such confidence when starting a new project!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom