Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for the blocking wires I ordered to some in. I have 2 tops and a shawl that need to be blocked so I can wear the tops and give the shawl to a friend.
I have already chosen my next challenge! While in my knitting group I found they kept the place on the cool side so decided to make a cardigan. I needed shorter sleeves, elbow length, and light weight as I cannot stand a regular cardigan.
This is basically a sweater back and arms done in stockinette and 2 lace panels attached to the side seams.
Started my search on Ravelry and came up with this:

Attachments

·
Registered
27,103 Posts

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first challenge will be what color! I love the blue but I'd like something neutral to go with whatever I wear.
Maybe I should just through caution to the wind and make whatever color I like! To heck with what I wear it over!
Making more than 1 is NOT an option! :roll:

·
Registered
528 Posts
It is a beautiful garment whatever name you use for it, but I was wondering if a 10 ply yarn would be a little heavy for it? I would love to make it for myself but here in subtropical Queensland that would make it far too warm.

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amyknits - Do you think the yarn suggested Cascade Sierra(80% cotton + 20% wool) might be too heavy?
I love their UltraPima!
I just don't get all the classifications of yarns, plies, WPIs, etc. All I'd like to know is what can I sub for a particular yarn.
Any easy way to do this?

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
SwampCatNana said:
Amyknits - Do you think the yarn suggested Cascade Sierra(80% cotton + 20% wool) might be too heavy?
I love their UltraPima!
I just don't get all the classifications of yarns, plies, WPIs, etc. All I'd like to know is what can I sub for a particular yarn.
Any easy way to do this?
After you posted last night I took another look at the pattern. I don't like working with cottons and I don't really consider this a "summer" knit. Cottons of any kind are heavy and 1400 yards is a LOT of cotton to wear in a garment. I also forsee some stretching due to weight of the cotton and the style.

I have been wanting to try their new Cascade Aran superwash wool. I even bought some recently. It is a bit too thick for this sweater, though.

I have been using a LOT of Patons superwash DK wool. I love it for all kinds of projects, but especially sweaters. I buy it at Joann's and is very affordable considering you can use your coupons. This yarn is $6.99 for 125 yards and with your 50% off coupons, you can knit this sweater with 11 skeins for a cost of around $40-$50 which is about where I feel comfortable.

Sweaters are a lot of work and done with the right yarn should last for decades.... so it is a balance between what you are willing to invest upfront. I think this is a good style that will not be "out" any time soon.... and it is a lot of work and a lot of yarn....

I think I may get around to knitting up a gauge swatch this week. I will let you know how I make out. I really love this yarn, but I think any superwash wool, either light worsted or DK weight would be an improvement over cotton. My opinion, of course.

The best way to substitute yarns is to do the (dreaded) swatch. I admit that I skip them for most items, but substituting on a project such as a sweater that needs to fit and is a large investment of time and money..... it is a must.

I will keep you posted. I have something I am finishing up right now and I think THIS will be my next project... thanks to you... I will try and remember to shoot you a PM with my swatch and progress. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jayniet said:
It is a beautiful garment whatever name you use for it, but I was wondering if a 10 ply yarn would be a little heavy for it? I would love to make it for myself but here in subtropical Queensland that would make it far too warm.
I finally decided on the yarn to use - Naturally Caron Spa. It appears to be a discontinued yarn and I'm hoping I can get the number of skeins I need. I bought only 1 to make socks but I love the color so much I decided to try it for this sweatigan. It knits up beautifully but I had to change the needle sizes to get the gauge. I'm using a US 11 circ.
So far I have the back done up to the armholes, and have started sleeve #1. However I find I don't have a circ of the correct size small enough to work in circ, even using Magic Loop.
Have to wait until Friday to get the needles.
I added a stitch at the beginning and end of each row to make a neater seam. I also slip the first and last stitch on every other row. It looks very nice.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom