Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my very first pair of socks ever and I choose to knit both together on circular needles, using the magic loop.
Seems like so many things are trying to make me stop!

First of all the circular needles I had were too short so when I was over in Belgium in July, I treated myself to a beautiful pair of wooden circular needles! They cost a fortune compared to metal or plastic ones but they looked so beautiful and I was hoping to knit the most beautiful socks ever...

Size 100cm and 2,0mm width, which is very tiny. But I wanted to have some very nice socks, so I was gonna go through the effort.

I shouldn't have bothered to buy these beautiful needles... I knit as much as about 5cm with them in Belgium and than they got packed to drive back to Italy.
Only to find, once we were back home, that one of the needles has broken off! I am now left with about 3cm of needle on one side...

I have tried to knit with it but it does not work well anymore even though I tried to sharpen the point. It is just too small to put the stitches on and they don't glide down well anymore...

What a bummer!

So I had to get back to my original plastic circular needles but they are too short really so it is not very pleasant to knit like this!

I guess I will have to ask my mom in Belgium to go back to the yarnshop to buy me another pair again and send it to me. Because I would need to go to one of the bigger cities (no yarn shop up in the mountains) to find a yarn shop where I can get some good needles again.

I don't think I will ever buy wooden needles again... :-(

·
Registered
624 Posts
I use bamboo circular needles that I order off the internet. They are about $3.99 USA dollars. It does not matter the size of the cord, they come in 16 inches, 24 inches, 29 inches, 30 inches, 32 inches, 40 inches and 48 inches. They have plastic and metal cording but the price is $3.99 for the plastic and $4.99 for the metal no matter what size cording you get.

I order them from http://www.eknittingneedles.com/ I love the bamboo needles and have never had a problem with any of them. Just some infor..

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
If the brand is recognized, i.e. Lantern Moon, or there is a German company that makes wood needles, contact the company and see about a replacement.

I use wood circulars by Indian Lake Artisans and they are wonderful.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip to ask them about it!

The brand is Lana Grossa, is indeed a German brand but the needles are made in India... They are really beautiful, I was so proud of them!

I see now that on their website they quote:
'Unique durability thanks to a special compression process of layered wood. The durability beats the precious woods such as rosewood and is beyond comparison with any other wooden needle.'

I just sent out an email to them, who knows they may also replace them...
I will keep you posted!

PS : I also got a most kind mail of another lady on this forum who offered to send me a replacement set! There are some very kind people on this forum!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have Harmony needles from knitpicks, similar process of layered wood. I've snapped the fives twice now. Replaced with no questions asked. I hope you have the same good luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I just made my first pair of socks. I wouldn't have dreamed of trying to start out with 2 socks together. I frogged the heel so many times that I almost wore out the yarn. My sanity would not have survived 2 socks together. I hope you get your beautiful needles replaced.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hurricane said:
I have Harmony needles from knitpicks, similar process of layered wood. I've snapped the fives twice now. Replaced with no questions asked. I hope you have the same good luck.
I've had the same experience with them. I thought I would have a problem because the needles were a gift andI had no proof of purchase but they just sent me another set. I will only buy needles from Knitpicks because of their great customer service.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wanted to let you all know that the company (Lana Grossa in Germany) has replied to me.

They told me that, normally, I would have had to go back to the store were I bought the needles, they would replace them and than get a discount from the company.

Since this is impossible for me (I would have to go back to Belgium, just for changing needles???), they sent me a replacement.

They did not send me the nice wooden needles though as they did not have such a box open ?? But I received some metal ones instead.
(How difficult/complicated it would be to just open up a box, I don't understand...)

Well, at least they have tried to help me, so l should not complain.
But I guess I will never buy wooden needles again... too fragile and price/quality not at all what one needs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom