Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished this!!! It was quite a feat!! It is the Wingspan Shawl by Kyle Vey, and I used their hand dyed yarn The Blue Brick Manitoulin Merino Sparkle Wooly Mammoth which cost me almost $100 and because of Covid (they said) took almost four months to get here. My niece had seen this shawl somewhere online and asked if I would make it for her. I said "Sure" without looking into it. I was amazed at the price, but decided to go ahead anyway and was looking forward to the challenge. I just would have rather been working on it than waiting so long for the yarn to arrive. Anyway, it was exceedingly tedious to work on, and then many Ravelry comments said that if you used their yarn, you would run out before finishing. I did not want to do that (I was NOT going to order more yarn!!) so I stopped the repeats early and finished the feather tips. (So proud of myself that I had the foresight to put in a lifeline.) When I finished the shawl, I had extra yarn left over. Could I have done another repeat of the pattern before doing the feather tips? I mulled it over a few days and finally ripped out all the feather tips and did the extra repeat of the pattern. Then continued with the feather tips. But by the time I had half of them done, my yarn seemed to be disappearing at an alarming rate!! I became very concerned and by measuring how much I needed for each feather tip, realized I was going to be about a yard short!!!!!! So using every trick I could, I conserved on the last half and ended up with about a foot left. Whew!! It really is pretty and will make a wonderful Christmas gift for my niece. The drape and feel of it is glorious. But it is one pattern I won't be making again. lol
Better pictures of it here if you are interested: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wingspan-3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It's lovely. I have admired that shawl pattern for a long time but very hesitant to try knitting one. You have a very lucky niece.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom