Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you Aussies. My sister arrived from Adelaide last Sunday for a visit. As a gift she brought a crafted framed bird but she doesn't know what it is called. It is made in a 3D fashion, built up, so it looks real. Does anyone know what it is called?
Thanks much.
Doreen

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Is it like a sculptured garden ornament? How about a picture?

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
If it is done in colored embroidery thread it is Brazilian embroidery. Or it could also be stumpwork. Would need a photo to go beyond that.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had two framed bird pictures like you describe. I also recall reading the directions as to how to make them. You have to have several (or a lot) of cards (such as greeting cards), all alike. You cut out the figures, starting with the full outline, then cut out from another card a slightly smaller area, then smaller and smaller, etc, finally the wings only. You glue these layers one on top of the other and it comes out three-dimensional. Very painstaking to make them. I never tried it. Think I have the birds somewhere still.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will still post a photo because they are so beautiful but I have found out it is paper tole. I don't think I will attempt this even though I am always looking for a new craft to try. It looks very painstaking and i would run out of patience. Will stick to knitting,
Thanks al
Doreen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom