Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
I think it is this one... http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2016/04/bamboo-stitch/

I used it with a chunky variegated thread and is very nice and very easy. It is a 2 stitch, 2 row repeat

The scarf doesn't really need a pattern... just figure out how wide you want it and knit until you are at length.
If you are making a cowl, do a provisional cast on. Then kitchener the two ends when you reach length.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
knit4ES said:

I used it with a chunky variegated thread and is very nice and very easy. It is a 2 stitch, 2 row repeat

The scarf doesn't really need a pattern... just figure out how wide you want it and knit until you are at length.
If you are making a cowl, do a provisional cast on. Then kitchener the two ends when you reach length.
I agree. It looks like the one OP has pictured was done with two strands held together.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I viewed how to do the provisional cast-on but I don't know what to do with it. When knitted the cowl, couldn't I knit it on a circular needle?
knit4ES said:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see you too are from Georgia.
knit4ES said:

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
You could knit it on a circular and in a circle... however, the orientation of the stitches would be different than what your original picture shows.
Look at the link I posted and imagine it turned on its side.
Also, you would have to know the circumference you wanted to end with before you started so that you could cast on enough stitches and you could not adjust that measurement,
but you could adjust the width ... I would rather start with a set width and play with the circumference... but either way would work.

If you did a provisional cast on, you just leave the waste yarn there until you are ready to join the ends. It is a way to save the live stitches and come back to them later....
Like when you knit a sweater and put the sleeve stitches on a holder or waste yarn, and continue on with the body of the sweater.... and come back later and pick up those stitches to do the sleeves.

Yes... good old GA..... what area of the state are you in?

·
Registered
24,411 Posts
ajinga said:
I viewed how to do the provisional cast-on but I don't know what to do with it. When knitted the cowl, couldn't I knit it on a circular needle?
Looks like you knit end-to-end (so it looks like a scarf) and seam it when done. Provisional caston makes seaming or grafting easier than a caston edge would.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We live in Paulding County (Hiram)
knit4ES said:
You could knit it on a circular and in a circle... however, the orientation of the stitches would be different than what your original picture shows.
Also, you would have to know the circumference you wanted to end with before you started so that you could cast on enough stitches and you could not adjust that measurement,
but you could adjust the width ... I would rather start with a set width and play with the circumference... but either way would work.

If you did a provisional cast on, you just leave the waste yarn there until you are ready to join the ends. It is a way to save the live stitches and come back to them later....
Like when you knit a sweater and put the sleeve stitches on a holder or waste yarn, and continue on with the body of the sweater.... and come back later and pick up those stitches to do the sleeves.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's say I have knitted one long straight scarf and now I'm ready to join. How do I do that? 3 needle cast-off?
knit4ES said:

·
Registered
24,411 Posts
ajinga said:
Let's say I have knitted one long straight scarf and now I'm ready to join. How do I do that? 3 needle cast-off?
You can (making sure the seam goes to the inside). Or you could use a Kitchener stitch to graft them together. Or no provisional - just a regular cast on and bind off, then your favorite seaming method, such as mattress stitch, Bickford seam, etc. (many videos exist on seaming for knitting).

mattress stitch for cast on and bindoff edge

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom