Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten a few of this and i have never knitted with cotton before. I have been told that one skein of this equals a 50g ball of wool. Not sure. Now i need to find some patterns to use this cotton - any ideas

Attachments

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Here is the Ravelry yarn page that gives some info on it:

[http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/elle-premier-natural-cotton-4ply]

You can also look at some project pictures.

It looks more like a DK weight to me looking at the yardage.

Have fun.

Lynne

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Lynne was thinking the same thing but its says 4 ply so i was not sure.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I ordered some yarn from the US, Woolie 3 ply. However, when I got it I found it was DK so maybe your yarn is another example of how different countries rate yarns. I should have gone by the yardage but didn't really pay much attention to that. (A lesson to be learnt the hard way.)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I find that plys can be a bit confusing as to yarn weight. I have worked with single ply yarns from fingering all the way up to a super bulky. And, I am TOTALLY confused about the numbering system, as in 2/8 and such.

Oh, and be careful how you handle this item after it is made. I have a feeling this is a straight cotton and not mercerized. If so, it will shrink if it is dried. Think of what dishclothes do.

Lynne

·
Registered
580 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like one is double knitting and one 4ply, they are different thickness and will have different lengths in the ball.
Cotton is comparatively 'heavy' and usually a shorter length per ball than acrylics so you would need more balls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom