Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've 2 booklets from Paton's for neck down sweaters sizes 2 to big adult. They're getting tattered I've used them so much. One's for crew, the other for cardigans. I ordered from the Paton's home site. I also have an old Leisure Arts pattern book that's a top-down. Could be out of print, but the original number was 2996. It has sizes 6 mo to size 50.I've never found a pattern for anything other than a raglan sleeve for a top-down, however.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hi I type in top down knit sweaters. there are many patterns that knit form top down. I just picked up a book at the library called knitting sweaters from the top down by cathy carron. Lots of good instructions. Some good basic patterns. Top down knitting is better than bottom up. Have fun. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can also go to www.knittingfool.com
This has a sweater generator for top down sweater. You enter the yarn gauge per inch,the needle size and the size of the person you are doing for. Viola it print out the sweater pattern for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
THIS is just the pattern I've been looking for...for weeks!
I have a mess of nice sock yarn and thought I'd like a sweater
to use it up. I couldn't find anything basic and unfussy written for sock
or fingering weight yarn. A friend who owns a yarn shop could help me write my own pattern, but I was embarrassed to go to her
because I didn't buy any of this yarn at her shop.
Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come to think of it, another person did mention that magazine to, and I simply forgot about it, but I will look into now that you have reminded me....thank you for your response....

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Check out Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top at you library. Her instructions are easy to follow... she is fantastic... before you know it, you will become more adventuresome in your choices, thanks to her, I made a skirt... and from the waist down.
May in Atlanta

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too love the "Pure and Simple" top down patterns. You do have to pay but they are worth it. I'm self taught and they were my first sweaters and I found them easy to follow. Good luck with yours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom