Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there someone that can generate a knitting chart for me? I have 2 I need done. One is a logo and the other is a saying. This is for my sister and brothers restaurant. I want to make them a hat with these on it.

Deana

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
What I'd love to find is a program/website that will TRANSLATE a chart into written instructions...there are just times when I want to memorize a row of instructions for large projects. I can't do that with a chart.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Here is a link to some knitting graph paper. I think you can put this in your printer, then print your design on it. You might want to look around for some knitter's graph paper that matches your gauge (from your swatch) exactly. Remember knit stitches are bigger in one direction than in the other.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2564/9546/files/knittinggraphpaper.pdf

DivaDee said:
Is there someone that can generate a knitting chart for me? I have 2 I need done. One is a logo and the other is a saying. This is for my sister and brothers restaurant. I want to make them a hat with these on it.

Deana

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
So far it's been a bit of a pain to do it. Ah well, maybe someday technology will catch up.... :sm17:

DivaDee said:
Thank you so much for the ideas.
Donna B , I think it is fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
DonnaB-NC said:
What I'd love to find is a program/website that will TRANSLATE a chart into written instructions...there are just times when I want to memorize a row of instructions for large projects. I can't do that with a chart.
Stitchmastery does that, although it is a paid program.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I go "old school", and use 1/4" graph paper and colored pencils to create my charts and designs. If need be, the sheets are "cut and pasted" to fit.

The size and colors are easier to read from a "reasonable" distance!

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
I have used both stitchfiddle and chartminder, but then I move the pattern over to an Excel spreadsheet and modify it. For the lettering, I would just chart it out on Excel or graph paper. I purchased this alphabet graph on Ravelry and it has worked perfectly.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/alphabet-chart-2

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Ellie RD said:
I have used both stitchfiddle and chartminder, but then I move the pattern over to an Excel spreadsheet and modify it. For the lettering, I would just chart it out on Excel or graph paper. I purchased this alphabet graph on Ravelry and it has worked perfectly.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/alphabet-chart-2
Thanks so much for the great link!!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
DonnaB-NC said:
Why not?
I memorize charted lace rows all the time.
Just say the charted instruction out loud for a few repeats and you will have it memorized.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
Longtimer said:
Why not?
Just say the charted instruction out loud for a few repeats and you will have it memorized.
I do that as well, I think hubby thinks I'm talking to myself when I do it lol

I'm fairly new to charts but am now starting to prefer to use and when a pattern includes both charts and written I tend to now use the charts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
DonnaB-NC said:
It's simpler if you just write it out, using knitting terms or your own words. I used to despise charts with a passion- but u know what? I find it actually easier to memorize the pattern if I see the chart. Why? because you can "see" the finished product, the design, and you can see where your sts are going. Many times Ive gotten confused working a pattern, and found the written instr. too hard to memorize, but once I saw the chart that went with it, it all made sense. I was then able to memorize the pattern easier, because it "clicked" in my brain once I realized the "big picture".

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Nanamel14 said:
I do that as well, I think hubby thinks I'm talking to myself when I do it lol

I'm fairly new to charts but am now starting to prefer to use and when a pattern includes both charts and written I tend to now use the charts
Same here. I did not like charts at first because I did not have the symbols memorized. It was time consuming to sit there and have to translate every little symbol. Now I am learning to appreciate charts as it is much easier in the end. You not only have the directions to the pattern, but can visualize the entire pattern at once. Charts are so very handy, even if you use the written portion of the pattern only, the chart is a great tool.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Learned a lot from those posts! Thanks for all the ideas...had no idea of these services...hadn’t needed them but I like
To think about designing a pillow top....thanks for sharing so many ideas...

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Gee. Guess my brain doesn't work that way.

Longtimer said:
Why not?

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Deegle said:
I use excel. I make the cells small squares, put in the number of stitches and rows and use colour fill to chart our the design. You just remove the fill and you're ready to chart another design. Here's what I mean.
This works, but may result in a skewed graph since the cells should not be square since knit stitches are not square. On one chart I used columns that were 1.43 (15 pixels) and rows that were 9.75 (13 pixels). This may vary by gauge of pattern.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom