Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
www.whimbeads.com

www.cbbeads.com

www.firemountaingems.com

The first 2 choices carry Japanese seed beads which is what you want if you are wanting to knit with beads. Fire Mountain carries Chech seed beads and the holes are too small unless you are going to add them with needle and thread after your knitting is complete. Have fun and happy knitting.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
That depends on what size yarn you are going to knit with and how you are applying the beads. With crochet thread or fine yarn size 1, (lace yarn) a size 11 will work size 8 if you are knitting with fingering yarn.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you want beads cheap, try www.bobbybeads.com
they sell retail=small amounts and wholesale=large bags. Their prices are best on the large bags and you do not have to be a business, just make sure to log onto the wholesale side of the business.. I did a lot of beading and that was the best place for quality and prices... I recommend the Toho beads not the cheaper
chinese beads they have started carrying.... good luck!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Keep in mind there are good quality beads and junk. Be careful what you buy. Miyuki is one of the best beads out there. ToHo is also another brand, but I use Miyuki.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have made only one item with beads. It was a scarf made with sock yarn and called for size 6 beads. Yes I know the beads from Hobby Lobby were not likely the best quality but the yarn was variegated and the beads were not going to be all that prominent so they worked fine. I suppose if I was going to do a solid colour shawl with prominent beading I would spend a little more.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would NOT buy beads from Micheals, Hobby Lobby or JoAnns because of the fact that a large majority of them come from China and they have lead in them. Also the finishes of these beads do not hold up well to everyday wear. I would go to Fire Mountain Gems, Fusion Beads, Whim Beads and Beyond Beadery. Excellent sources for quality beads and you get more bang for your buck! Happy Knitting and Beading! Umoza

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom