Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a skein of yarn with a tag that reads:

End of the World Farm, Fayette, ME
Sock yarn Hand Dyed
70% Wool 30% nylon
250 yards 4 oz
Machine or Hand Wash Warm
Dry Flat

I looked up the website for End of the World Farm, and they raise goats and Alpaca.

There is no gauge, so I tried wrapping it around a needle, and I got 12 wpi on a size 4 needle. But this is definitely not a sport weight yarn. I tried making a swatch using a size 2 needle, and I get roughly 5 stitches per inch. So how do I determine the yarn weight?

I told my friend I would make her socks from this yarn, but I'm not even sure I have enough yarn, as I have only one skein (250 yards). I can do a search on Ravelry, but what do I use for the yarn weight? I am familiar with knitting socks, but I've previously used sock yarn. And most of the patterns ask for double-pointed needles, but I prefer using circular needles. And to do this, you have to really think through how to do the heel. (Should I put markers where the pattern expects the next needle?)

Has anyone of you ladies knit socks from hand made wool yarn? Can you recommend a pattern?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I would also question that you have enough yardage of that yarn for a pair of socks. I usually need about 400 yards (200 yds per sock). Could come up with a color design, emphasizing color you prefer in the original yarn (using similar wt wool yarn)..............or how about knitting a hat? small bag? OR boot toppers?

·
Registered
20,218 Posts
If you only have that one skein and it is 250 yds. that is not enough for a regular pair of socks. Perhaps enough for shorty socks.

Here is a search on Ravelry for fingering wt., 250 yds. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&weight=fingering&availability=free&yardage=%7C250&colors=1&query=shorty%20socks&sort=date&view=captioned_thumbs

You could use Magic Loop or two circulars and work both socks toe up at the same time and you would be able to see how much leg length you could get, and use all the yarn. And, of course, if you have some contrasting yarn you could work the toes, heel and tops in that contrasting color and have more yardage.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
I think you have a worsted weight yarn rather than a sock weight. The yardage in a 100 gram (3.5 oz) hank of sock weight yarn is usually around 350-400 yards. A wpi of 12 also indicates worsted weight. The manufacturer may be considering it to be "sock" yarn because of the nylon content rather than the weight.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
With the yardage and weight it is not sock weight. It can still be a sock yarn as it is made to knit socks with. Sock weight is fingering which is the weight that most but not all sock yarns are. Opal who were one of the first companies to make sock yarns often make them heavier than fingering.
And there is not enough to do a pair of socks- maybe ankle length but if it is worsted weight would you want ankle length socks? Mittens sounds like a more achievable goal for the length. The problem with using a second yarn is you may not have a sock yarn in the weight. You could do the foot in the sock yarn and the leg with another yarn in a rib or something similar that holds to the leg well as the nylon as well increasing wearability also adds elasticity to help hold the socks up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Name is cI have a friend i grew up with. She has her own yarn shop and dyes wool $or her shop. The name is "Fancy Image. She knits a)l the time. I bet she has patterns. Her first shop was in -WA. state, USAl. Check out her website site, drop Myra an emai.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I often mix yarns in sox, like do the toe, heel in different yarns and maybe make a striped cuff? There is a way to use this for socks, just have other yarns to combine to make a unique creation.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
kponsw said:
I think you have a worsted weight yarn rather than a sock weight. The yardage in a 100 gram (3.5 oz) hank of sock weight yarn is usually around 350-400 yards. A wpi of 12 also indicates worsted weight. The manufacturer may be considering it to be "sock" yarn because of the nylon content rather than the weight.
That was my first impression, too.

·
Registered
23,228 Posts
nancyannin said:
I was given a skein of yarn with a tag that reads:

End of the World Farm, Fayette, ME
Sock yarn Hand Dyed
70% Wool 30% nylon
250 yards 4 oz
Machine or Hand Wash Warm
Dry Flat

I looked up the website for End of the World Farm, and they raise goats and Alpaca.

There is no gauge, so I tried wrapping it around a needle, and I got 12 wpi on a size 4 needle. But this is definitely not a sport weight yarn. I tried making a swatch using a size 2 needle, and I get roughly 5 stitches per inch. So how do I determine the yarn weight?

I told my friend I would make her socks from this yarn, but I'm not even sure I have enough yarn, as I have only one skein (250 yards). I can do a search on Ravelry, but what do I use for the yarn weight? I am familiar with knitting socks, but I've previously used sock yarn. And most of the patterns ask for double-pointed needles, but I prefer using circular needles. And to do this, you have to really think through how to do the heel. (Should I put markers where the pattern expects the next needle?)

Has anyone of you ladies knit socks from hand made wool yarn? Can you recommend a pattern?
When doing wraps per inch...the needle size does not matter. It might be possible to knit those short socks, just barely up to the ankle. Or one crew length sock with a bit left over. Most fingering weight yarn averages about 200 yds. to 50 grams. Some have only 166 yards in 50 grams, and others have 233 yards in 50 grams. Any yarn that is heavier than fingering weight yarn is not likely to be able to be worn in shoes.
As for pattern...Lifestyle Toe Up Sock pattern is an easy toe up vanilla sock... Vanilla socks usually are the perfect pattern to show off your fancy yarn. Fancy stitches (cables or lace) often get lost in the hand dyed or even self patterning yarn.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. Many of you agreed, that this yarn is probably worsted weight. So now I'm thinking maybe slipper socks, as the person for whom I am knitting has a very small shoe size. I still do not understand how I can get 12 wpi and yet only 5 - 6 stitches per inch? But for now, I'm going to begin checking out the links that some of you posted to patterns, etc. Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
nancyannin said:
Thank you for all the suggestions. Many of you agreed, that this yarn is probably worsted weight. So now I'm thinking maybe slipper socks, as the person for whom I am knitting has a very small shoe size. I still do not understand how I can get 12 wpi and yet only 5 - 6 stitches per inch? But for now, I'm going to begin checking out the links that some of you posted to patterns, etc. Thank you so much!!
I believe you knitted your swatch on size 4 needles. Worsted weight yarn is generally worked on size 8 needles, depending on the pattern.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I agree. Two at a time, toe up, and you can stop when you're out of yarn. I also like the idea of stretching your yarn by using a contrasting color for the toes and heels.
jmcret05 said:
If you only have that one skein and it is 250 yds. that is not enough for a regular pair of socks. Perhaps enough for shorty socks.

Here is a search on Ravelry for fingering wt., 250 yds. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&weight=fingering&availability=free&yardage=%7C250&colors=1&query=shorty%20socks&sort=date&view=captioned_thumbs

You could use Magic Loop or two circulars and work both socks toe up at the same time and you would be able to see how much leg length you could get, and use all the yarn. And, of course, if you have some contrasting yarn you could work the toes, heel and tops in that contrasting color and have more yardage.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Excellent suggestions!
jmcret05 said:
Found this - https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/end-of-the-world-farm-worsted-hand-dyed

Their brand and the correct length - must be a worsted.

Search on new filters - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&weight=worsted&availability=free&fit=female%2Badult&yardage=%7C250&colors=1&query=socks&sort=date&view=captioned_thumbs

Ravelry members project with that yarn - https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/end-of-the-world-farm-worsted-hand-dyed/projects

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom