Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i really need help please. I am new to machine knitting and have followed the instructions and watched video's on u tube but just can not get to cast on and knit a row. I am using the cast on comb as was instructed.
Do you leave the cast on comb attached to the knitting? It seems that I need to remove it to get any knitting done. I have wasted so much yarn and am at a loss now.
Many thanks

Dee

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dear Mummycrafts,

If you look on the website for the Guild of Machine Knitters (http://www.guild-mach-knit.org.uk/index.html), there is a list of local groups in your area (see http://www.guild-mach-knit.org.uk/inyourarea/clubs.html).

You don't necessarily have to be a member to go along - the membership fee is quite low anyway - but they're great enthusiasts and will be able to give you practical help, demos and advice.

Some areas have tutors who will come and give you an hour's tuition on your own machine for a nominal sum (and a cuppa). There doesn't seem to be anyone in Hampshire, but I suggest you look at the list anyway(In Your Area/Individual Teaching)in case there's someone near.

The Guild also has contacts with people who can clean and service your machine and find you spare parts. Very useful!

Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can also do a e-wrap cast on. Thread your yarn in carriage, move to very far left needle you are using and take your loose end of yarn over to the left and hang on to loose end and got to the right towards carriage and with the yarn do a over, under, over under until you get to your carriage. Make sure when that is done you pull up yarn to make sure yarn tension is tight. Knit about ten rows and put on your weights. I use plastic hair clips, usually about 4 clips for 60 stitches, it keeps the bottom nice and even.

Look on youtube for how to e-wrap in machine knitting. It is a easy way to start with. I am fairly new to machine knitting too.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Remember to add weights to the cast on comb on move it up as the fabic gets longer. Does your machine have a new SPONGE BAR? Go word by word with the instructions.
DId you take away the slack in the yarn from the tension discs before you started knitting? DOn't move the carriage more than 2cmm or inches past the last stitch on the row, you will hear a click and the same with starting (no click).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for help and advice, I now have something to try, think sponge barf is a good place to start as didnt know it exosted so will start with that , I have not managedx to get anythingknitted at all will br back when I have tried

D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Don't do anything till you replace the sponge bar as it will not work and you may damage the machine trying to make it work.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
mummycrafts said:
hi,
i really need help please. I am new to machine knitting and have followed the instructions and watched video's on u tube but just can not get to cast on and knit a row. I am using the cast on comb as was instructed.
Do you leave the cast on comb attached to the knitting? It seems that I need to remove it to get any knitting done. I have wasted so much yarn and am at a loss now.
Many thanks

Dee
You leave the cast on comb on when you knit across. After the first knit row, drop the comb and keep on knitting. That information should be in your manual.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It probably is but the manual was so destroyed by damp conditions that all the pages were stuck together, full of black mould and we couldnt seperate them if they had been readable so had to download instructions from the internet which are so vague as are for a range of several machines including the one I have.

30Knitter said:
mummycrafts said:
hi,
Many thanks

Dee
You leave the cast on comb on when you knit across. After the first knit row, drop the comb and keep on knitting. That information should be in your manual.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
mummycrafts said:
It probably is but the manual was so destroyed by damp conditions that all the pages were stuck together, full of black mould and we couldnt seperate them if they had been readable so had to download instructions from the internet which are so vague as are for a range of several machines including the one I have.

30Knitter said:
mummycrafts said:
hi,
Many thanks

Dee
Sorry to hear about your manuals. Did you try aboutknittingmachines.com for a new manual? They have most of the brother manuals listed. I'm trying to remember, I think the one you are looking for covers several machines in that series. Look for 860 - 890. There was a separate manual for the knit leader. It is there, check under more machine manuals. This site carries a lot of manuals and information regarding machines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you 30 knitter, Yes that was one of the sites I searched, they dont have a specific manual for my machine only the generic brother one which I ended up downloading (I searched for 4 days before taking the general brother one) To be honest for something that I was so interested in getting for so long, it has caused me so much grief and stress I am on the verge of giving up with it. I am waiitng for my husband to move it onto the breakfast bar again for me as i cant lift it to look at the sponge bar etcf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you ValT, I have just looked it up on the map, I am down on ths South Coast close to Gosport so I think it may well be a bit too far to go. Although it has a Guildford Postcode is seems to be almost West London?which would be about 80 or 90 miles each way.
I really appreciate the suggestion though, if only there was a club closer to me? Have looked locally but no adverts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
How about Ringwood?
The following lifted from a Google search
++

The Ringwood Machine Knitting Club

Meet:- 1st & 3rd. Monday each month 11.15 – 1.15pm (September – July_ in Greyfriars Hall.

The aim of our Club is to give members the opportunity to: *Share the knowledge of new and existing knitting techniques. *Help other to gain knowledge of their machines. *Demonstrate techniques /ideas. *Invite speakers to some of our meetings. *Enjoy a social meeting with friends. *Promote machine knitting and welcome anyone who would like to join us whether they be new to the craft or wishing to start once again using the long neglected machines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ValT Thank you, Ringwood would have been an option if in the evening, (fingers crossed I will have a job again next week, dont want to tempt fate though as been here before) it is some distance away down the motorway but not as far as the Yateley one, You just gave me an idea to search east along the coast as well so will do that as there may well be some in that direction

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom