Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how many stitches I would need to add to make this vest a 4X? I cannot seem to made these adjustments for myself.....just a little math challenged!!

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW2461.pdf

Would I also use the same amount of stitches added to make all the other changes necessary for the 4X?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Maddi

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
There is a resizing chart online at the Pierrot Yarns site. Scroll down below the pattern pictures to the "resizing information."

If you are unable to locate the site, PM me and I will give you another way to access it.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Take the directions for the Large, and substract it from the XXL, then add that difference to the XXL. The Large casts on 95 and the XXL 115, the difference is 20, so add that 20 stitches to the 115 and cast on 135. Do that same math with all of the size directions and you should be good as long as you match the stitch gauge.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Yarn Happy does your formula works the same on the circle vest as it does on a traditional pattern? Because the number of stitches cast on in this case will be repeated on the cast off side of the ribbing, Peggy will be adding 40 total stitches to the circumference of the vest when she seams it together.

The difference in each of the other larger sizes is 10 additional cast on stitches. From 2x to 3x... wouldn't that be only an additional 10 cast on stitches also? Which will be repeated in the second section of ribbing, making a total of 20 additional stitches if she casts on 125.

Happy holiday every one.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Cathryn 2ed said:
Yarn Happy does your formula works the same on the circle vest as it does on a traditional pattern? Because the number of stitches cast on in this case will be repeated on the cast off side of the ribbing, Peggy will be adding 40 total stitches to the circumference of the vest when she seams it together.

The difference in each of the other larger sizes is 10 additional cast on stitches. From 2x to 3x... wouldn't that be only an additional 10 cast on stitches also? Which will be repeated in the second section of ribbing, making a total of 20 additional stitches if she casts on 125.

Happy holiday every one.
I believe she wants to go up two sizes, to a 4x, that is why I added 20 stitches.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Peggy Beryl said:
There is a resizing chart online at the Pierrot Yarns site. Scroll down below the pattern pictures to the "resizing information."

If you are unable to locate the site, PM me and I will give you another way to access it.
Peggy, I can't find this site - can you help?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Hey Maddi,

You will have to take your own bust measurements, get your gauge on a swatch with the yarn and needles that you will use, if not the one that they call for, and then come up with the cast one from there.

For example, if your bust is 54 inches, your gauge works out to be the same 4.25 stitches per inch, then you would calculate the cast on stitches this way:

54 x 4.25 = 229.50

So you would round up and cast on 230 stitches to get started, and then you would follow the pattern as written as long as there isn't a chart with a specific amount of pattern repeats.

This pattern looks a little wiggy to me, and I am not sure where you would do the ribbing. Perhaps you would measure across your back at its widest point to get how many you cast on to start. I think other more seasoned experts will have to chip in to help you on this one. I am on the right path with the gauge swatch, I know that much.

MotherHensRoost said:
Can anyone tell me how many stitches I would need to add to make this vest a 4X? I cannot seem to made these adjustments for myself.....just a little math challenged!!

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW2461.pdf

Would I also use the same amount of stitches added to make all the other changes necessary for the 4X?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Maddi

·
Registered
157,827 Posts
I agree with yarnhappy. The 20 stitches is what it takes. That is a wonderful pattern to make. However I must admit I made one small change on it. I added an extra stitch when I picked up the stitches to go around and around so that I could k3, p3 all the time instead of k3, p2. Yes, I can be very lazy! Saying 1, 2, 3, to yourself all the time is much easier than 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, etc.! yep, very lazy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom