Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I already knitted a baby hat on two needles. K2, P2 for 6" then dec. K6, k2 tog, next row p, K5, k2tog, Next row p and so on. Top looks very smooth w/ nicely spaced ribs. Can I get the same look at the top with knitting in the round?

Grapejelli said:
I already knitted a baby hat on two needles. K2, P2 for 6" then dec. K6, k2 tog, next row p, K5, k2tog, Next row p and so on. Top looks very smooth w/ nicely spaced ribs. Can I get the same look at the top with knitting in the round?
Hi grapejelli,
I only use circulars and yes you do get the nicely spaced ribs.
happy knitting!

What you have done works the same way with circular needles except instead of purling the row between decreasing rows, you knit the row between.

I've also found it easier to not have to worry about the plain knit row because I'm picking up and putting down my hats, usually at red traffic lights as long as my foot is on the brake. If there is an even number multiple of 8 stitches for the hat, instead of K6, K2tog, I start with K14, k2tog and decrease every row. You're knitting the same number of rows and it makes a pretty pinwheel pattern at the top of your hat. My favorite infant hat pattern casts on 77 stitches, purl the 1st and last stitch together, 20 rows of P2,K2 ribbing on a 16" size 4 circular needle, 20 rows of stockinette stitch on a 16" size 6 or 8 circular needle and decrease starting K2tog, K13, K2tog. I've used the size 4 as the second circular needle with the 6 or 8 using them like double pointed needles when getting to about 4-5 stitches between decreases. Remember, you can't knit with the cord end of your needle, so be sure to pull the circular needle through the stitches ready to knit the next set in the round. I sew the top together twice around when I have 2 stitches left in each decrease section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom