Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've started this 3 times now and something is definately not working for me...I cant get the right # of stitches....reading it makes since but doing it hasn't worked for me yet!

Here are my instructions: Cast on 78 stitches, then K this row.

Setup Row (WS): P3 (front), pm, P11 (sleeve), pm, P50, (back), pm, P11 (sleeve), pm, P3 (front) Note: My stitch count is correct to this point!

RS: K1, M1L, *knit to 1 st before m, M1R, K1, sm, k1, M1L; repeat from * 3 times more, knit to 1 st from end of row, M1R, k1. 10 sts increased

This is where I'm having trouble----I don't end up with 10 stitches increased, only 8. Where it says to knit to 1st st before marker, there are only 4 markers....I'm doing a M1 before and after marker....what am I missing???

Pattern is a Hannah Fettig Knitbot titled "Effortless Cardigan" - to this point it's not effortless for me!!! Can you help ??? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
You are making one stitch before and after each marker, and after the first stitch of the row and before the last stitch of the row. That's 10. You are forgetting about the stitches in red below:

RS: K1, M1L, *knit to 1 st before m, M1R, K1, sm, k1, M1L; repeat from * 3 times more, knit to 1 st from end of row, M1R, k1. 10 sts increased

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously! Gees, how could I have missed that! You've saved my sanity! Ok, so I'm ripping out and starting over again....maybe this time (thanks to you) I'll get it right!
Thanks Tammy!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I'll wait and start over tomorrow "fresh" and maybe I can really get it right, finally! The picture looks easy, but so far it's been challenging to really get into it. Thanks for your kind words.

·
Registered
169 Posts
KP family-u all are so helpful--little things like this have caused me to give up the pattern--these comments help all of us--I remember I got stuck reading patterns when I first learned to read them--keep up the good work-and you will do good with this pattern--thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further problems with this pattern. I've completed the pattern thru Row 24 with 10 increases per RS row and P all WS rows, with my stitch count up to 198.....unfortunately the pattern says I should have 318 at this point!

Here are my instructions: Cast on 78 stitches, then K this row.

Setup Row (WS): P3 (front), pm, P11 (sleeve), pm, P50, (back), pm, P11 (sleeve), pm, P3 (front) Note: My stitch count is correct to this point!

RS: K1, M1L, *knit to 1 st before m, M1R, K1, sm, k1, M1L; repeat from * 3 times more, knit to 1 st from end of row, M1R, k1. 10 sts increased (got this part with correct # of stitches)

Repeat the last two rows 23 times mmore. Pattern says I should have 318 stitches total with 51 front stitches, 59 sleeve stitches and 98 back stitches. At this point, I only have 198 total. I have 54 front sts (27 ea), 70 sleeve sts (35 ea), and 74 back sts = 198. I'm thinking that the Purl rows should also have had increases made to them, but the math doesn't work, it would be off 10 sts still....arrrrr

The increases were done on the RS only and WS rows were all Purled.....YAHHHHH, I'm sick of this being so crazy! I've consistently counted my stitches to make sure they were correct (adding 10 each RS row).....

Has anyone else made up this pattern successfully?

Pattern is a Hannah Fettig Knitbot titled "Effortless Cardigan 2"

Any help will be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
You say you have worked through row 24, but the pattern says to repeat the last two rows 23 times, so you need to work 46 more rows after completing the first increase row - 23 plain (purl) rows and 23 increase rows.

With a total of 24 increase rows at 10 stitches per row, that is 240 stitches added to your original 78 for a total of 318.

As far as the math goes, remember to add the sleeve stitches and the front stitches into the total twice since there are two of each. That will give you 318.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tammy, you are such a help, I see exactly what I did NOW! Gees, I'm just making this so much harder than it should be!
I made a cheat sheet to track the rows/stitches and listed row 3 thru 23.....but stupid me listed the purl row as 4, etc. In other words I've only done 11 sets of row 1&2, instead of doing 23 repeats of row 1&2.

Hope you didn't have any flooding from Sandy....I have friends in Lancaster so I watch the weather there.

Thanks for bailing me out "again"!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom