Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knitting the Red Heart pattern called Juliet's Love Shrug. I'm knitting the sleeves and have done the border of seed stitch, am now on the first row of increases. The pattern gives this instruction for "M1 = Lift strand between needles to left hand needle and knit strand through the back loop, twisting it to prefent a hole." This is the ONLY instruction for the increases.

For the first decrease row the pattern reads: "K1, M1," (so far so good, I've made the increase) "knit to last 2 stitches, M1, K1" Here's the problem! After I've done this M1, I'm left with 2 stitches to knit. Not 1. Am I doing something wrong? I checked knittinghelp.com for the various M1 increases and think maybe the one at the end of the row should be a Make 1 away. It seems this would not leave me with two stitches to knit at the end. Opinion please?

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
No, you are right. If you leave 2 stitches on your left needle and do something with the middle thread, you will still have 2 stitches to work after you are done. If you don't need to make a decrease there for some reason (I haven't seen the pattern), you probably need to either work till you only have 1 stitch, not two, make the increase there and K1, or just K2 at the end.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HandyFamily said:
No, you are right. If you leave 2 stitches on your left needle and do something with the middle thread, you will still have 2 stitches to work after you are done. If you don't need to make a decrease there for some reason (I haven't seen the pattern), you probably need to either work till you only have 1 stitch, not two, make the increase there and K1, or just K2 at the end.
That makes sense to me! Thank you. One of those pattern glitches that slips through to confuse us less experienced knitters! BTW, if English is your third language, congratulations on using it very well! I admire anyone who masters more than one language.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Thanks so much, you are so nice to say that...

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you knit to the last 2 stitches. Then you make 1 in the space between the 2nd and 3rd stitch from the end you will still have 2 stitches on the right hand needle then you knit 1 you will have 1 stitch left according to my calculation.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keispa said:
If you knit to the last 2 stitches. Then you make 1 in the space between the 2nd and 3rd stitch from the end you will still have 2 stitches on the right hand needle then you knit 1 you will have 1 stitch left according to my calculation.
Quite right. That's what I got, but that's not what the pattern says. It indicates that there will only be one stitch left to knit. I think Handy Family is right, I need to knit to the very LAST stitch before M1. I've done that and it works out just fine. But thanks for your time!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Norma B. said:
Quite right. That's what I got, but that's not what the pattern says. It indicates that there will only be one stitch left to knit. I think Handy Family is right, I need to knit to the very LAST stitch before M1. I've done that and it works out just fine. But thanks for your time!
Yes I agree with that. I just looked to see if there is a pattern correction (errata) there is but it is not for this increase section.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keispa said:
Yes I agree with that. I just looked to see if there is a pattern correction (errata) there is but it is not for this increase section.
I had looked for errata but found none. Could you please let me know the one you saw? I'm also questioning the lack of instruction for attaching the ruffle! It's pretty lame.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
galaxycraft said:
http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/pattern-correction-juliets-love-shrug
Darn! I must be dense. I followed this link but couldn't locate the errata notation for this sweater. :cry:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
galaxycraft said:
The corrections are highlighted in yellow.
Thanks! Those two were already in the download I printed. Thank goodness, since I've already completed the back and fronts. I was hoping for other corrections, but guess there aren't any noted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom