Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make the Twin Lakes Blankie pattern from Lion Brand.
But I would like to make it wider and also possibly with one strand of yarn. I'm not sure what the multiple stitch count is to make it wider. Please help! I would greatly appreciate it. I know this has to be pretty simple. Thank you

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((((((( See comments in ( ) This isn't really that simple until you've done it a time or two. LOL!! )))))))))

homesweethome said:
I would like to make the Twin Lakes Blankie pattern from Lion Brand.
But I would like to make it wider and also possibly with one strand of yarn. (((((((( Search that site using: Basketweave knit afghan. They have another one that's larger and the weave is made longer/wider, too. Single strand. You might like it. If not, see below + how to make your multiple in the TL blankie. )))))))))

I'm not sure what the multiple stitch count is to make it wider. Please help! (((((((( For your Twin Lakes multiple, it's:

* K 8, P 8 = 16 sts for multiple + add edge stitches on both sides. They use 6 sts on one side and 6 stitcles on the other. Multiple = 16 + 12.

I saw a dishbloth BW pattern with a multiple of 10 in the traditional pattern width/length pattern of K5, P5 = multiple of 10 + 3 (6) edge stitches on a 9" square. cloth. Multiple = 10 + 6. )))))))))

((((((((So, you must figure out how wide you want it. Guessing you want a full size (width) afghan (make the length as long as you want)), single yarn, I'd run a test swatch of one (1) BW repeat across. Just one row.

CO 26 sts (no edging)
*K 8, P8* repeat from * to * across

Measure width. If it's 10" wide, multiply x 4 for a
40" wide center. Your edge stitches will give you
more width. If width is of your choice, work until
length desired.
~~~~~~~
Your own gauge and yarn choice will affect the size, too.
*** About 8 skeins may produce a 47" x 47" item. Buy more yarn for more length.

CO 100 stiches doesn't divide evenly by 16 which is what a multiple means. 96 does, though. 96 + 12 (for edge stitches) = CO 108 stitches. ))))))))))))

I would greatly appreciate it. I know this has to be pretty simple. ((((((((( It's simple AFTER (LOL!!) doing it the first time or two when one has taken a sample stitch block pattern to duplicate it wider, etc.

I use my stitch dictionaries, encyclopedias, library books (hardcover), online stitch/motifs, etc., frequently to convert a stitch I like into a finished product.

Lion Brand.com doesn't seem to state the multiple above the pattern, so I read the pattern, note how to get the basketweave + add the border stitches x 2. )))))))

Thank you (((((( You're welcome! I hope this helps!!Donna Rae )))))))
/quote]

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Easy Peasy. Just do swatch gauge with one strand of yarn like you are wanting to use. May need to do several swatches to get drape/texture you want. Now you have the number of stitches/inch to multiply by the size in inches you want your blanket.

For example: You like the 6 stitches per inch qauge and want to make your blanket 40" wide: 6 stitches/" times 40" = 240 stitches to cast on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom