Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made KWs biscuits and bones dog coat? I am having a problem with the abbreviations. What does T3F, T3B mean? C3B and C5B means cable x stitches back. How do you knit a cable with an uneven number of stitches, 1 in front, 2 in back or 2 in back and 1 in front? In another section they tell you to C4B. That is do-able. Do you know if there is errata to this pattern (Patons)? Do you think T3F and T3B should be C3F and C3B?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Here are the instructions for the abbreviations on this sweater pattern:

ABBREVIATIONS
C3F = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K1, then K2 from cable needle.
C3B = Slip next stitch onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then K1 from cable needle.
C4F = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. K2, then K2 from cable needle.
C4B = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then K2 from cable needle.
C5B = Slip next 3 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then slip purl stitch from cable needle back to left hand needle and purl it. K2 from cable needle.
T3F = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. P1, then K2 from cable needle.
T3B = Slip next stitch onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then P1 from cable needle.
T4F = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at front of work. P2, then K2 from cable needle.
T4B = Slip next 2 stitches onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K2, then P2 from cable needle.

These abbreviations are at the beginning of the pattern.

Cables and Twists are quite similar. But cable stitches are usually all knit stitches and Twists incorporate purl stitches into the mix.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
t3f = twist 3 front, same as c3f
t3b = twist 3 back, same as c3b

When an uneven number of stitches in a cable, take the smaller number of stitches onto the cable needle. It really doesn't make any difference how you divide the stitches as long as you are consistent.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Peggy Beryl said:

When an uneven number of stitches in a cable, take the smaller number of stitches onto the cable needle. It really doesn't make any difference how you divide the stitches as long as you are consistent.
Peggy, what does make a difference is whether you knit or purl those stitches. Twists usually have some of the stitches purled as opposed to cables which usually have all of the stitches knitted.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
peachy51 said:
Peggy Beryl said:

Peggy, what does make a difference is whether you knit or purl those stitches. Twists usually have some of the stitches purled as opposed to cables which usually have all of the stitches knitted.
Thanks for pointing that out Peachey; I'll watch for those changes in future.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Peachy351. My instructions do not have abbreviations at the tope but refer one to Patons web site for list which did not address T4 or T3. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes she did and she will be 2 this month and will have another cake and a party with 2 of her litter mates. Her mother is Maltese and father Yorkie, she has her mamas ears, face and hair and papas coloring.
Jerannsb said:
grammacat, I love the picture of your dog. My Yorkie looks just like that. Did he get to eat the cake?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess one should not print patterns from "all free patterns" sites, as this pattern did not include abbreviations and I have found on other patterns sometimes "special instructions" are missing. Thanks for the tip.
darowil said:
It is essential to look for the abbreviations for a pattern (as peachy did) as the same abbreviation can be used in different ways by different designers at times. Ideally they won't but they will at times.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I have also noticed that some patterns on blogsites do not have any details for stitches either.

Glad I was able to find your abbreviations as it looks like there are many.

Hope your little furbaby appreciates all the work that is going into that sweater! :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom