Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any hints for working the kitchner stitch? I just finished my first sock and am so proud of it! Last night, I tried to finish the toe with the kitchner stitch and completely messed it up! I have no idea what I did, but I dropped stitches and ended having to rip out everything back to before the toe decreases. Now I'm afraid to try it again. I watched videos on u tube and followed instructions in books, but it just hasn't clicked yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
It's a website that you can join and receive their newsletter via email. A great site that is affiliated with Interweave press. Interesting articles, free pattern downloads, helpful hints, etc. After you join you can search the site for various subjects.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Courier770 for the Knitting Daily suggestion. I found a tutorial on there that was SO easy to follow. I finished my first sock and I am so very proud. I'm so glad that I didn't take one of the easy ways out on the toe because it looks really beautiful. Now I see what is meant by grafting- there's no seam! It looks like you knitted around and over the toe in one motion! Made my day! Thank you everyone for the help. I don't know what I did before I found this site. The Knitting Daily site looks really good too. Now all I have to do is divide my time between knitting and reading about knitting!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ginsu88 said:
I also had trouble with this stitch. Try casting on some stitches on another set of needles and work a couple of rows. Then practice kitchner untill it works for you. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to do that and become comfortable with it before I finish the other sock.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Kitchener Stitch (or Grafting)
This technique joins live stitches together in an elastic, invisible seam. The method can also be used over bound-off stitches to make a strong, stable seam.
With an equal number of stitches on two needles, and right sides facing up, hold the needles parallel to each other with points facing right. Thread a blunt tapestry needle with two to three times the length of the area to be joined. For live stitches, work as follows:
Step 1: Insert threaded needle into the first stitch on the front needle purlwise (as if to purl); leave stitch on needle.
Step 2: Insert needle into the first stitch on the back needle knitwise (as if to knit); leave stitch on needle.
Step 3: Insert needle into the same first stitch on the front needle knitwise slip stitch off needle.
Step 4: Insert needle into the second stitch on the front needle purlwise (as if to purl); leave stitch on needle.
Step 5: Insert needle into the first stitch on the back needle purlwise (as if to purl); slip stitch off the needle
Step 6: Insert needle into the second stitch on the back needle knitwise (as if to knit); leave stitch on needle.

rep steps 3 -6
Gracie

Also if you begin on needle closest to you (front)

purl on{{First 2 needles are foundation }}
knit on (back)
knit off, purl on (front)
purl off, knit on ( back)

rep to end.

hope this helps

·
Registered
659 Posts
You can use the grafting stitches in place of seaming shoulders on sweaters. It works particularly well on thick and thin yarn, or bulky yarn. No big lumpy seams. I am sure there may be other uses as well. Hope we will get other suggestions. I love to knit socks. They are a small project that can go anywhere you go. After a few pairs, you can almost complete them with out looking at the pattern all the time. Nancy Bush is a fantastic sock expert. Check out her books in the library before purchasing. An interesting read. Good luck !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom