Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a sweater for my aunt. I do not understand the following instructions with 22 stitches on my needle:

"Shape Shoulder:
Cast off 7 sts at beg of next row and foll alt row.
Work 1 row. Cast off rem 8 sts."

Does this mean I have 3 rows to knit?
Row 1: cast off 7 stitches, knit to end of row, turn.
Row 2: purl to last 8 stitches, cast off 8 stitches, turn.
Row 3: cast off 7 stitches.

Thank you for helping me!!

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Cast off 7 sts at beginning of this row, then knit (or purl) one row
cast of another 7 sts beginning of next row, knit or purl back
cast off 8 sts beginning of row

alt means every other row

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magna84 said:
Cast off 7 sts at beginning of this row, then knit (or purl) one row
cast of another 7 sts beginning of next row, knit or purl back
cast off 8 sts beginning of row

alt means every other row
That is my confusion. As you stated, the 7 stitch cast off is every row, not every other.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Row 1 Cast off 7 sts, knit to end of row. Turn.
Row 2 Purl to end of row. Turn
Row 3 Cast off 7 sts, knit to end of row. Turn.
Row 4 Purl to end of row. Turn.
Row 5 Cast off 8 remaining stitches.

·
Registered
17,873 Posts
MNKnitterMom said:
That is my confusion. As you stated, the 7 stitch cast off is every row, not every other.
I think you may have misread the other poster. She did not say to cast off the the 7 stitches on every row. She said Cast off 7 sts at beginning of this row, then knit (or purl) one row, which means that the second set of 7 stitches are cast off on the third row, not the second row.

Row 1, cast off 7 stitches at the beginning of this row
Row 2, knit (or purl) one row back
Row 3, Cast off another 7 sts at beginning of this row,
Row 4 then knit (or purl) one row back
Row 5 cast off 8 sts beginning of row

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
MNKnitterMom said:
Please re-read what she wrote. It isn't the way you've just interpreted it here. NOT every row. "alt" is an important abbreviation in knitting instructions. It means every OTHER row.

·
Registered
66 Posts
BTW You cast off sts at the BEGINNING of a row generally. Casting off at the end makes no sense! There would be a big gap created. Try it on scrap yarn n you will see.
Finally, by slowly binding off on alternate rows your shaping isn't so harsh. Much more gradual. GL!

·
Registered
86 Posts
MNKnitterMom said:
I am making a sweater for my aunt. I do not understand the following instructions with 22 stitches on my needle:

"Shape Shoulder:

I think this means:
Cast off 7 stitches and knit to the end of the row.
Turn and knit the remaining 15 stitches.
Turn and cast off another 7 stitches and knit to the end of the row.
Turn and knit the remaining 8 stitches.
Turn and cast off the last 8 stitches.

I have found that a smoother edge is produced if on the second and third cast offs you slip the first stitch rather than knitting it - knit the second stitch and then pass the slipped stitch over the knitted stitch.
I hope this helps,
best wishes, Mike.

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
MNKnitterMom said:

"Shape Shoulder:

A link to the pattern or at least picture would help to get accurate information.
Are you working both shoulders at the same time? Or one shoulder at a time with neckline stitches already cast off? There really are some variables that could change the number of rows to be worked.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Are the decreases on the bodice (front / back) to join sleeve or on the sleeve to join to the bodice? If uncertain check another sweater that is similar to one you are knitting.
Usually a sleeve, if knitted flat would have decreases on each end (later joined as part of the under arm seam to desired length)

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you cast off at the end of a row you will have to cut the yarn and join it again where you started to cast off. Cast offs for shoulders are always worked from the edge, ie where the sleeve will be joined.
Your pattern is cast off at the beginning of the row, knit to the end, work one row (you will now be back where you casted off.) cast off required number of stitches. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom