Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instructions state k3, *yo, sl1, yo, k3* repeat to end of row. I know what a yarn over is and a sl1 but when I knit the 1st yo & sl1 it looks off.

Also I like the way the slip edges look for garments. Do I have to increase my case one by 1 stitch to use this method?

·
Premium Member
81,185 Posts
asturgill said:
... Also I like the way the slip edges look for garments. Do I have to increase my cast on by 1 stitch to use this method?
Assuming you have two edges, you'd increase by 2 stitches - one for each side, but it all depends on the stitch pattern and garment pattern. Sometimes, adding on stitches is unnecessary.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
asturgill said:
The instructions state k3, *yo, sl1, yo, k3* repeat to end of row. I know what a yarn over is and a sl1 but when I knit the 1st yo & sl1 it looks off.

Also I like the way the slip edges look for garments. Do I have to increase my case one by 1 stitch to use this method?
I would just slip the 1st stitch then knit 2 before starting the repeat section. I never add a stitch when I'm slipping the 1st stitch to make a more even looking edge. As far as the yarn over slip 1 yarn over they do look off with the slipped stitch instead of the stitch being knitted. To get it to work out correctly you want to bring your yarn to the front, then lay over the top of your needle to the back before slipping the stitch. Then slip the stitch and bring the yarn to the front again. If you don't lay the yarn over your needle so that is appears to be in the back before slipping it is possible to actually miss the 2nd yarn over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's help! I think the problem is when I go to knit row 2. This is how the first 2 lines read:
Row 1: K3 *yo, sl1, yo, k3; repeat from * across
Row 2: P3 *yo, slip (1st yo & next st, drop remaining yo) yo, P3, repeat from * across

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
asturgill said:
Thanks for everyone's help! I think the problem is when I go to knit row 2. This is how the first 2 lines read:
Row 1: K3 *yo, sl1, yo, k3; repeat from * across
Row 2: P3 *yo, slip (1st yo & next st, drop remaining yo) yo, P3, repeat from * across
It is unusual for a yarn over row to not be followed up with a row of purl before working another row of yarn over. You are also increasing 2 stitches for every stitch worked. Can you share the name of the pattern and either a link to the pattern or the book that the pattern is in. Even if this is a purchased pattern you can provide the link to the pattern. The link doesn't give the pattern directions, but usually shows a picture and if there are an errata. There has to be more instructions that what you have given.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom