Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Round 1: (yo,k,yo,k,yo,ssk,ssk,(slip2,k,p2sso),k2tog,k2tog,yo,k,yo,k,yo,k) 4 times

This is for a sock cuff pattern. Have 64 stitches on the needle. This row gets done and the next three are plain knit. The 4 rows are repeated 6 times, although I feel like I have done this row a million. I am ending up with less stitches than I should have after a few patterns so I am obviously doing it wrong. I think I am messing it up because of not understanding the (slip2K,p2sso) because it is in parenthesis within the parenthesis at the start and end of the directions. I am just going through from start to end of row and the parenthesis must mean something.

I come to the experts. I am not. Haha. Thank you.

· Banned
23,386 Posts
http://stitchesofviolet.blogspot.com/2004/12/old-shale-two-yarn-sock-pattern.html

Old Shale Pattern --
Old Shale Pattern (16 stitches and 4 rounds)
Round 1: (yo,k,yo,k,yo,ssk,ssk,(slip2,k,p2sso),k2tog,k2tog,yo,k,yo,k,yo,k) 4 times
Round 2: knit
Round 3: knit
Round 4: knit

Cast on 64 stitches.
Round 1:
(yo,k,yo,k,yo,ssk,ssk, = 7
(slip2,k,p2sso), = 1
k2tog,k2tog,yo,k,yo,k,yo,k) = 8
4 times = 16x4=64

ssk - slip slip knit =
Slip 2 stitches knitwise, one at a time, from left needle to right needle,
insert left needle tip through both front loops and knit together from this position.
A 1 stitch decrease.

· Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
galaxycraft said:
http://stitchesofviolet.blogspot.com/2004/12/old-shale-two-yarn-sock-pattern.html

Old Shale Pattern --
Old Shale Pattern (16 stitches and 4 rounds)
Round 2: knit
Round 3: knit
Round 4: knit

Cast on 64 stitches.
That is the pattern. My problem seems to be after doing the pattern a few times, I now have 57 stitches. I have taken it out and tried again and get the same result. I will try again. Thanks. I have tried this so many times I feel like pitching it.

· Registered
1,577 Posts
There are 16 stitches in the repeat so it should work. I found it helpful when I first did lace to rewrite the pattern in sections, putting each section on a row and putting the stitch count for the section at the end of the row. Galaxycraft broke it down very nicely for you, thanks Galaxycraft. Count your stiches on every section and place markers between sections. Hope this helps.

· Registered
1,919 Posts
Cdambro said:

I think I am messing it up because of not understanding the (slip2K,p2sso) because it is in parenthesis within the parenthesis at the start and end of the directions.
slip1, slip1, k1, passs the 2 slipped stitches over the knitted stitch--this takes 3 stitches down to 1 stitch

· Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help. I ripped it all out and have my markers all ready. Haha. I don't know why I struggle so but I am determined to do this.

I honestly think some people have a natural ability for knitting and I am not one do them. But, I will do this. Haha.

· Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
90,429 Posts
Cdambro said:
Thank you all for your help. I ripped it all out and have my markers all ready. Haha. I don't know why I struggle so but I am determined to do this.

I honestly think some people have a natural ability for knitting and I am not one do them. But, I will do this. Haha.
Get that notion right out of your head! The ones who create such lovely things as seen on KP and on Ravelry all - ALL, every single one of 'em - felt the way you do now at some point in their knitting journey! Anyone who claims it all came to them in a dream or from their mother's milk or totally painlessly is a either a downright liar or has forgotten early lessons.

Umpteen years of knitting experience is not proof against making mistakes, though it just might make seeing them a tad easier. I began knitting in 1954; today I just ripped out a week's worth of stitches, because I obviously still cannot count.

· Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
Get that notion right out of your head! The ones who create such lovely things as seen on KP and on Ravelry all - ALL, every single one of 'em - felt the way you do now at some point in their knitting journey! Anyone who claims it all came to them in a dream or from their mother's milk or totally painlessly is a either a downright liar or has forgotten early lessons.

Umpteen years of knitting experience is not proof against making mistakes, though it just might make seeing them a tad easier. I began knitting in 1954; today I just ripped out a week's worth of stitches, because I obviously still cannot count.
Thank you for your comments. I actually have my markers in place and so far, so good. Same number of stitches are still on the needle. I tend to compare with others but will try not to do that. Awwwww...about your own work needing to be ripped out. Counting is harder when life keeps interrupting.

Thank you, everyone.

· Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
90,429 Posts
Cdambro said:
...about your own work needing to be ripped out. Counting is harder when life keeps interrupting. ...
In this case, I've been home alone for the last two weeks. No interruptions. No excuse. Just an inability to perform the simplest of mathematical actions, count accurately. Had it been an algebra problem, I'd have had no trouble! ;)

· Registered
953 Posts
Long instruction lines like this drive me CRAZY! I get lost! So what to do. I usually rewrite the line by breaking it up and substitute abbreviations I am familiar with like this:

row 1: (yo,k,yo,k,yo,ssk,ssk,(slip2,k,p2sso),k2tog,k2tog,yo,k,yo,k,yo,k) 4 times

becomes

Row 1:
(yo, k ) two times, yo
ssk 2 times
s2kp
k2tog two times
yo, k three times

When you look at this row, analyze it then try to picture it in your head. Is there a center stitch? Often times a multiple decrease is at the center of the repeat. In this case, it is the slip2,k,p2sso. The center of this pattern is flanked on each side by two single decreases - ssk's on one side and k2tog's on the other and both lean toward the center stitch. At each end of the repeat, there are series of alternating yo and knit stitches.

Sometimes I'll chart it out. A new technique called stitch mapping is much easier than charting that actually gives a visual picture of what the pattern looks like (for more info, do a web search for stitch maps).

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Thanks to all you ladies. I now have a new pattern to try and encouragement to do so. I too have been knitting and crocheting a very long time and still have to ribbit and tink a lot some times, not so much other times. I just don't let it get me down as badly as it used to. I'm not alone in the "uh-oh" dept.

· Registered
430 Posts
judystar said:
Thanks to all you ladies. I now have a new pattern to try and encouragement to do so. I too have been knitting and crocheting a very long time and still have to ribbit and tink a lot some times, not so much other times. I just don't let it get me down as badly as it used to. I'm not alone in the "uh-oh" dept.
Ditto - both you and JessicaJean. As soon as I'm confident I have a pattern in my head I'll make some kind of boneheaded mistake that makes me wonder if I really have been knitting for over 60 years.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
Cdambro said:

This is for a sock cuff pattern. Have 64 stitches on the needle. This row gets done and the next three are plain knit. The 4 rows are repeated 6 times, although I feel like I have done this row a million. I am ending up with less stitches than I should have after a few patterns so I am obviously doing it wrong. I think I am messing it up because of not understanding the (slip2K,p2sso) because it is in parenthesis within the parenthesis at the start and end of the directions. I am just going through from start to end of row and the parenthesis must mean something.

I come to the experts. I am not. Haha. Thank you.
Each repeat of the pattern increases 6 and decreases 6 so you should end up with the same number of stitches at the end of the row.
The YOs each increase one stitch and the SSK and K2TOGs each decrease one stitch.

SL2, K1, P2SSO means, Slip 2, Knit 1, Pass 2 Slipped stitches over.
This is a double decrease so maybe this is where you are having the problem.
Not too sure why that instruction is in (). Doesn't need to be because it is only done once each repeat.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen

· Registered
404 Posts
The rule of thumb is there needs to be an equal number of decreases and increases. If there are more decreases the stitch count decreases, and if there are more increases the stitch count increases. check the pattern for this. Perhaps there is an error.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom