Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A business associate of mine was just diagnosed with kidney cancer. He is a young single father and does have insurance through his employer. But we all know how high the co-pays can be, plus the loss of work. My company is going to do a fund raiser with silent or live auction to help him. I need some ideas of things I can quickly knit or crochet that will appeal to those in attendance (they will probably be mostly 21 -35 years old, many unmarried). I could search on Ravelry, but I want to use patterns that "real" people have made and have found to be popular. I consider myself an intermediate knitter and crocheter. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Dishcloths and those ruffled scarfs seem to always be favorites! I have often crochets small colourful granny squares in sets of 4 or 6 for coasters and they do go quick also!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My heart goes out to your co-worker and his family. What a generous company to do this for him. My question is how old are his children, and what are their sexes? Perhaps I could make something for them and mail them to you to give to him for Christmas gifts for his children. Just an idea. As far as quick knits, pretty wash cloths and soap sets? Will your attendees be mostly women or men? That may affect your choices. For women I'd say scarves,fingerless mitts, headbands,etc. For men, I'd think manly scarves.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My first inclination would be knitted scarves for guys and gals.....how can you go wrong ?? What a great thing to do....blessings to your co-worker and you ! :)

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
taznwinston said:
My heart goes out to your co-worker and his family. What a generous company to do this for him. My question is how old are his children, and what are their sexes? Perhaps I could make something for them and mail them to you to give to him for Christmas gifts for his children. Just an idea. As far as quick knits, pretty wash cloths and soap sets? Will your attendees be mostly women or men? That may affect your choices. For women I'd say scarves,fingerless mitts, headbands,etc. For men, I'd think manly scarves.
I don't know who will show up:( I work in the restaurant industry, so most of the people attending will probably be kitchen staff and some managers. The servers don't really know this man. I am thinking we could advertise the auction stuff as "get your Christmas shopping done early" or the like. Our marketing manager will be coordinating this event and she will have good ideas, I am sure.

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
taznwinston said:
I have only seen one or two of his children briefly and it was some time ago. He has a couple of boys and a girl. I think the boys are about 12 -14 years old and the girl is a bit younger? I have NO idea what size they are, either. Not too helpful, am I?

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Bless you for taking an important step to help your coworker. I don't have any project ideas beyond what people have already expressed.

But on an encouraging note, my mother had kidney cancer; the kidney was removed. She subsequently had cancer cells wash downstream to her bladder a couple times.

She was successfully treated for that and lived many years. Her death had nothing to do with the earlier cancer. So, may your coworker have the save successful treatment.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
jmf6406 said:
A business associate of mine was just diagnosed with kidney cancer. He is a young single father and does have insurance through his employer. But we all know how high the co-pays can be, plus the loss of work. My company is going to do a fund raiser with silent or live auction to help him. I need some ideas of things I can quickly knit or crochet that will appeal to those in attendance (they will probably be mostly 21 -35 years old, many unmarried). I could search on Ravelry, but I want to use patterns that "real" people have made and have found to be popular. I consider myself an intermediate knitter and crocheter. Thanks for your help!
I would do the ruffled scarves. I always donate one to a silent auction for a charity and get good response.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Recently my son who is 32 asked for a hat and matching fingerless gloves (the ones with short fingers so they hug the fingers, but leave them free). He also said a short cowl that fit snug around his neck but didn't hang down too far. He lives in California and sometimes goes to the mountains in the winter. So I think this would be great! I used Amazing yarn from Lion Brand...has some wool in it, but is also washable.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
834 Posts
A "themed" basket always goes well at our Little Holiday Sale's raffle. Fill a basket for an at-home: throw, mugs, hot cocoa mix, a classic movie, microwave popcorn or other snacks. A spaghetti dinner basket: colander filled with box of spaghetti, jar of sauce, breadsticks, add handmade dishcloths and potholders. Wine basket: couple of glasses, corkscrew, a bottle or two of wine, some chocolates, and a handmade dish towel. It's all in the presentation: wrap nicely in cellophane or shrink wrap, add a nice bow. These always seem to please.

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow! You guys are awesome! I looked on Ravelry and got a couple of scarf patterns and handbag patterns. I think some of you have made 5 hour baby sweaters and some patterns are really easy and some are more like 50 hours, according to the posts. So, I would appreciate knowing which to choose. The at home gift baskets sound like a winner, too. Maybe I will do one and include a potholder or dishcloth? I do have an afghan that I made that I am not sure where I will use it, so maybe I should donate that. I am going to tell our marketing manager that she should put a reserve on the stuff donated since there are always cheapskates that want a real deal and it would break my heart to have something I spent hours on go for $1, if you know what I mean. Keep the ideas coming ladies and gents:) Thanks for your ideas!!!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A good raffle or silent auction item is a hat, scarf and glove set to be made to the winner's preferences. That way they get a personalized one of a kind item and the bidding can go very high. I have done this a few times with good results.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with Lolly12. Beanies for both males and females will sell. Mari knits has a great slouchy beanie for women that works up really fast. Lightweight scarves would also be quick-knits that would likely sell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom