Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am looking for your opinion and expertise. I am knitting my first poncho. One of the seams is crooked (the first picture). I am wondering if you think I should rip it out to the mistake, which seems about half of it.

The second picture is the other seam, which is fine.

I do not want to rip it out because it is time consuming and do not want to lose my progress.

Thanks for your help, which I greatly value.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,192 Posts
Rip back 21 rows. That's where things went wonky. Something awful happened in the green/white section which shows in both photos and is part of the problem in the 'seam' [near your thumb in #2]. The stitches are twisted I think.

·
Registered
15,855 Posts
This would drive me crazy, I would have to rip it back. But that is just me, been this way since I was a child, just like my dad. All depends on what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
So if the seam is in the middle of the front, the person nearest you should be watching you and not the seam. If it's in the middle of the back it's going to twist every which way just by being worn. I'd leave it as is and be very happy with what you've done so far. Please post the finished pretty poncho. Happy Needling. jberg

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
You’ll get vastly different opinions about this. We are all different. Just as some are picky in general (about anything), there are many who will say “it looks fine, leave it.” It depends on where you fall within that spectrum. The poncho looks lovely, but that wonky seam is something I wouldn’t be able to live with.

·
Registered
38,196 Posts
targa416 said:
You'll get vastly different opinions about this. We are all different. Just as some are picky in general (about anything), there are many who will say "it looks fine, leave it." It depends on where you fall within that spectrum. The poncho looks lovely, but that wonky seam is something I wouldn't be able to live with.
what wonky seam????LOL

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for all of your input. The perfectionist in me says to fix it. The more relaxed part says to leave it. I will think about it.
Do you really think that non knitters will not notice?

·
Premium Member
81,081 Posts
gracedmama said:
Thanks so much for all of your input. The perfectionist in me says to fix it. The more relaxed part says to leave it. I will think about it.
Do you really think that non knitters will not notice?
That's impossible to say. Some, like my sharp-eyed spouse (retired professional photographer) see them every time.
Others don't see beyond the pretty colours.

·
Registered
38,196 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
That's impossible to say. Some, like my sharp-eyed spouse (retired professional photographer) see them every time.
Others don't see beyond the pretty colours.
IF it was a really BIG error I may help the person.............but not a small one.............life is too short to worry about a stitch. :sm16: :sm16:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Blocking will help to straighten it out. But I wonder is the crooked increase spans the beginning of round (ie. you increase at the beginning and then work around to before the marker and then work the 4th increase). If so this could be the reason the seam looks a little crooked. When working in the round, since you are actually knitting a spiral, I will sometimes work that 4th increase on what would be considered the previous row so that I am working the increases one right after the other.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom