Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new knitter. I've done a few items with basic garter, stockinet, seed and moss stitches.
I've started my first baby blanket. And it has a stitch I don't understand. The pattern stitch glossary lists MK as P2tog without slipping sts off needle, then K2tog over same sts.
The pattern is created knitting row 1, 2nd row: p1 (MK) 90 times, 3rd row: knit, 4th row: (MK) 90 times p1.
I don't understand how to create MK. I've searched on youtube and google as well as the Bernat site.

Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
I wonder if "MK" stands for "make knot?" I've seen something similar done over three stitches (p3tog, k3tog, p3tog all in the same 3 stitches). What you are being asked to do sounds like a slightly simpler version of that. Here is a video that shows the (p3tog, k3tog, p3tog) version:
You would basically do that same thing only working with just 2 stitches on the left hand needle and just doing (p2tog, k2tog) instead of (p3tog, k3tog, p3tog).

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( I believe MK = MAKE KNOT.

Your specialty stitches in patterns are usually defined at the top of the pattern (do you see it there?) and sometimes within the pattern the first time it occurs and not at the top, but it could be in both and is a courtesy reminder to help you.

OKAY, to make an MK, and as you say:

P2tog, (make sure yarn is forward,don't remove from the needle)
K2 tog (in the back of the stitch. It might get tight on you. Make sure to have the large part of the needle clear through to make the right size). Knot made. 89 left!

Wow!!

What are you making?

Let me know, please and how you do!
~~~~~~~~~~

: -
kayers said:
I'm a new knitter. I've done a few items with basic garter, stockinet, seed and moss stitches.
I've started my first baby blanket. And it has a stitch I don't understand. The pattern stitch glossary lists MK as P2tog without slipping sts off needle, then K2tog over same sts.
The pattern is created knitting row 1, 2nd row: p1 (MK) 90 times, 3rd row: knit, 4th row: (MK) 90 times p1.
I don't understand how to create MK. I've searched on youtube and google as well as the Bernat site.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm making a baby blanket. I can't believe that knots would be comfortable for a baby blanket! I may try to find another pattern that uses the same kind and amount of yarn!

Thanks for responding so quickly. This site has been such a great reference for me. I've learned so much just reading other posts.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
kayers said:
I'm making a baby blanket. I can't believe that knots would be comfortable for a baby blanket! I may try to find another pattern that uses the same kind and amount of yarn!

Thanks for responding so quickly. This site has been such a great reference for me. I've learned so much just reading other posts.
It's only really a "knot" in that it looks knot-like. It doesn't really add much in the way of bulk that you would feel.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
BettyAnn said:
do your purl 2tog giving you one stitch that you leave on the left needle. Move your yarn to the back, pick up next stitch and the purl stitch and knit them together. It will make a kind of bump in the pattern.
I have to take issue with this. Are you saying to p2tog, place the resulting purl stitch back on the left-hand needle and then k2tog? That would reduce three stitches down to one. The stitch that the pattern is calling for is not a decrease. It calls for making two stitches in two stitches - doing a p2tog and a k2tog in the same two stitches before dropping them from the left-hand needle. If someone were to do what you are suggesting 90 times as called for in the pattern, they would lose 60 stitches in that row.

·
Registered
286 Posts
TammyK said:
BettyAnn said:
do your purl 2tog giving you one stitch that you leave on the left needle. Move your yarn to the back, pick up next stitch and the purl stitch and knit them together. It will make a kind of bump in the pattern.
I have to take issue with this. Are you saying to p2tog, place the resulting purl stitch back on the left-hand needle and then k2tog? That would reduce three stitches down to one. The stitch that the pattern is calling for is not a decrease. It calls for making two stitches in two stitches - doing a p2tog and a k2tog in the same two stitches before dropping them from the left-hand needle. If someone were to do what you are suggesting 90 times as called for in the pattern, they would lose 60 stitches in that row.
Thanks TammyK for noting the discrepancy of that post. I really don't like it when someone hasn't read the whole thread and seen that the correct answer has already been given. Then they post incorrect info and confuse the person who asked the question to begin with.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TammyK said:
I wonder if "MK" stands for "make knot?" I've seen something similar done over three stitches (p3tog, k3tog, p3tog all in the same 3 stitches). What you are being asked to do sounds like a slightly simpler version of that. Here is a video that shows the (p3tog, k3tog, p3tog) version:
You would basically do that same thing only working with just 2 stitches on the left hand needle and just doing (p2tog, k2tog) instead of (p3tog, k3tog, p3tog).
Tammy - I watched the video and it made so much more sense. I think I've got it!
Thanks so much! Love this site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom