Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m knitting the back of a cardigan using circular needles, but not in the round, separate back and front pieces. I’ve bound off for the armholes and worked up to the shoulders. The directions are for straight needles, not circular. The pattern says to “K19, join 2nd ball of yarn and bind off next 9 sts, k to end. Working both sides at once with separate balls of yarn, bind off at each neck edge 5 sts once and 2 sts once.” At this point I’m supposed to do the left shoulder, then the right shoulder.

Can I do this with the one circular needle, or do I need another needle to handle working both sides at once?

I’ve tried to visualize this in my head, but just can’t really tell.

Thanks! Martha

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
You can do all on the circular you are using. I always do it like that. Just add the ball and work both sides at once. Do the right, then the left, then turn around and go back. If the pattern says to bind off shoulder stitches, I would put those on a stitch holder and save them, when you have the fronts ready you can do a 3 needle bind off which will not only bind off your stitches, but connect the front and back at the shoulder.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
The needle is just fine, as stated above...It is the yarn that needs to be separate for each part.... One way of doing the second ball is to make a butterfly or use a large bobbin... or you can hold the ball from coming apart with a hair clip. This will let you untangle or let the balls swing free every once in awhile to avoid twisting....

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
You don't need to move it to a circular ... you can keep it on your straights.

After you bind off the neck edge, you will have the two sides going up to the shoulders on the needle (kinda like it would hang on a hanger).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
peachy51 said:

After you bind off the neck edge, you will have the two sides going up to the shoulders on the needle (kinda like it would hang on a hanger).
peachy51, she is on circulars but was wondering if she needed to go to straights. I think this pattern can be done on either, no need to change as you said. I'm understanding that she is using the circulars as there are a lot of stitches. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Yvette

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
mtnchild said:
peachy51 said:

peachy51, she is on circulars but was wondering if she needed to go to straights. I think this pattern can be done on either, no need to change as you said. I'm understanding that she is using the circulars as there are a lot of stitches. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Yvette
OOPS! :oops: You are so right ... I was thinking she was on straights and wanted to know if she needed to change.

Thanks for setting me straight! :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom