Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using circ needles and did seed st for 1 in. changed to pink stocking knit for 5 rows. time to change to rose in garter stitch I'm getting both colors on the garter stitch back is good. I'm brain stressed tonight I tried working another row. what am I doing wrong.

· Premium Member
13,076 Posts
You are doing nothing wrong. That is happening because you are changing colors on a purl row, so the purl bumps, which are formed from the backs/tops of the knit stitches in the prior row, are landing on the front. (I'm assuming here that you are working in the round where garter stitch is done by alternating knit and purl rows and not back and forth where you knit all rows for garter stitch.) It will only happen on the first row. If you want a clean change over to the new color, you need to make the change on a knit row. (You can either work one extra row of stockinette stitch using the new color for that row, and then start working garter stitch, or you can work the first purl row of the garter stitch section with the old color and then switch to the new color when you get to the knit row.

If you are working back and forth on circular needles, then the same logic applies, only you are doing all knit rows and the change is happening on a "wrong side" row. To eliminate the color mixing you would need to change colors on a "right side" row instead.

If the pattern specifies for you to change color on a specific row then the little dashes of mixed color may be what the designer wanted at that point in the pattern. No need to stress about it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom