Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sure could use a lot of help. I have been trying to get a handle on the feather and fan pattern. However I cannot get the nunber of stitches to come outright. Everything going good until I start the second set of rows alls well till I get to the end of the third row and I have three stitches left. Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
The feather and fan is one of the easiest to do. I think what is happening is you are not evening out the increases with decreases. Look back at the right side row, stitch by stitch from the beginning of the row. I bet you will be able to spot where you went wrong, where it looks different from the rest of the row. When you see it, just take your work back, stitch by stitch until you get to that point and correct it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You need an odd number of stitches. 4 pairs for the decrease,but only 3 to separate the 4 increase holes.
Do the decreases this way: slilp 1, knit 1, pass sllipped stitch over (twice)l then knit 2 together twice. This gives 2 decreases 'to the left' and 2 decrases 'to the right'.
Make sure there is always this distinction within the decreases.
Re the increases:
After the 4th decrease, "yarn ovaer, knit 1" 3 times, then one more yarn over.

See, 4 increases folloswing 4 decreases.

Always work on AN ODD NUMBER OF STITCHES!!!!! (plus whatever you need as a border)

Start the pattern with 'knit 2 togethr' twice, then the 4 holes, and finish with 'slilp 1, knit 1, pass slipped stich over' twice.

That gives you a good, even layout.

* You can even make a wider pattern with 'k 2 tog' 3 times, then 6 holes, then 'slip 1,knit 1, psso' 3 times. good for a wide shawl, or afghan

Grosvenor, Lindfield, Australia

·
Registered
776 Posts
Carole Adams said:
I sure could use a lot of help. I have been trying to get a handle on the feather and fan pattern. However I cannot get the nunber of stitches to come outright. Everything going good until I start the second set of rows alls well till I get to the end of the third row and I have three stitches left. Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong
make sure that you knit the full pattern repeat. 18stitches per pattern repeat.

1st 6 stitches knit 2tog 3times. next 6 stitches yarn forward knit 1, 6 times, last 6 stitches knit 2tog 3 times.

I am making a sweater with this stitch and found at first that I was forgetting to do the last 6 stitches. I also put stitch markers between each pattern repeat so that it was easy to check that I was doing it right.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
The feather and fan is one of the easiest to do. I think what is happening is you are not evening out the increases with decreases. Look back at the right side row, stitch by stitch from the beginning of the row. I bet you will be able to spot where you went wrong, where it looks different from the rest of the row. When you see it, just take your work back, stitch by stitch until you get to that point and correct it.
I like to separate each set of repeats wit h markers, just to make this easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom