Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the pattern for woven Stars and I don’t know what the abbreviations mean. Cast on 63 stitches.

Row 1: K9,(S2KP2,K18) twice, S2KP2, K9 (57sts).

I know S means slip so do I slip 2 then how many do I knit?

In row 2 it says SSK ??

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
S2KP2 is a centered double decrease. You turn 3 stitches into 1.
Start by slipping 2 stitches together knitwise onto the right needle. Knit the next stitch. Now slip the 2 stitches that you slipped previously over the knitted stitch and off the needle.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
For the row 2 SSK, you slip 2 stitches knitwise 1 at a time onto the right needle. Then you insert the left needle into the front of those 2 stitches, wrap the yarn around the right needle and knit. Slip both stitches from needle.
People wonder why you would do a decrease this way. Slipping the stitches this way before knitting them makes the resulting decrease slant to the left, while the regular K2tog would slant towards the right.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
maisyb said:
There should be a legend with your pattern ?
There is. It is at the end of the pattern.

Strangely, she says to "slip two stitches as if to knit them together, knit one stitch and pass slipped stitches over," whereas you usually see that instruction as "slip two stitches knitwise one at a time."

Either way, you're getting a 2-stitch decrease and I doubt that slipping two stitches knitwise as if to knit two together looks much different than slipping them one at a time. Just be consistent.

·
Premium Member
80,968 Posts
Nitting_More said:
There is. It is at the end of the pattern.

Strangely, she says to "slip two stitches as if to knit them together, knit one stitch and pass slipped stitches over," whereas you usually see that instruction as "slip two stitches knitwise one at a time."

Either way, you're getting a 2-stitch decrease and I doubt that slipping two stitches knitwise as if to knit two together looks much different than slipping them one at a time. Just be consistent.
Yes, it makes a very visible difference.
Slipped together as though to do a k2tog, leaves the centre stitch of the three on top.

Slipping them individually, the right most stitch ends up on top.

Knitter's choice, just be consistant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom