Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our non-profit foundation(White Dove) is having its annual fundraiser in November. I am making up a basket to be raffled and I had the idea of putting some really great yarn and some needles in it. What is really being raffled is having an item made from the yarn to be personalized for the winner of the basket. OK, what can I offer? A scarf is too simple (we are talking about raising big bucks here). Would a pair of socks, a shawl or something like that be good? I am not willing to take on a sweater. I plan to put in some pictures of knitted items to pique interest.Please let me know!
Thanks

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
How about a felted bag or hat. Shawls are something you don't run across in your every day shopping, that might do the trick, a Holden is easy to make larger and blocks up real nice. Here is a picture of a pair of slippers which are easy to make and look great on the feet. http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=5747&lang=us

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Do you have any inkling who the potential raffle ticket buyers might be? Women only? Parents? Grandparents?

If they're not knitters or fiber-savvy, would they really appreciate a shawl? Or would they prefer a baby layette set or an afghan?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Perhaps as you're offering a choice you could keep it to items that use a similar type and quantity of yarn, (but possibly in different colours) that way it could be manly socks, lady like shawl or a baby blanket.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
I like to reverse problem solve. Decide on how much time you want to take to knit something. That will limit the size and complication of your project. Then chose 3 different projects that have a photo; ie, lace socks, cabled scarf, slouchy hat. Make sure your yarns for the basket are good quality, the kind that make you go weak in the knees when handling. This will limit the buyer's choices and make it easier for you.

Alternatively, you can provide some photos with a description of your offer clearly written out. For example: "I will knit a pair of socks with a choice of 3 patterns," or you may choice one of 3 scarf patterns.

The yarn fibers are alpaca, silk, merino, bamboo, etc. They are known to not be allergenic and are machine/hand washable. You will decide what to say based on what you are really offering.

·
Registered
377 Posts
why don't you girls make 8" squares all in different patterns
and put them together to make an afghan and raffle that off
I have done it many times with my friends and it brings in a lot of money. I give knitting retreats in my home and I teach textures which are all different patterns and when finished it is quite handsome Try it and it's fun

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A few pretty washcloths and a soap sack, as someone suggested, call it a Spa Kit! and tie all together with a pretty ribbon. You could invest in some nice-smelling soaps to put in the soap sack.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
BethChaya said:
Our non-profit foundation(White Dove) is having its annual fundraiser in November. I am making up a basket to be raffled and I had the idea of putting some really great yarn and some needles in it. What is really being raffled is having an item made from the yarn to be personalized for the winner of the basket. OK, what can I offer? A scarf is too simple (we are talking about raising big bucks here). Would a pair of socks, a shawl or something like that be good? I am not willing to take on a sweater. I plan to put in some pictures of knitted items to pique interest.Please let me know!
Thanks
How about a set of hat, gloves (fingerless or otherwise) and socks ... all same yarn? Personally... I would skip the hat for myself... hate to wear hats.
Jane

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom