Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished crocheting a large pouf..foot stool. The directions say to buy a bean bag chair and insert it. Don't want to do that. I've thought about making a liner instead and filling it with.....what? Any suggestions or hints? Help please.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've thought about making one of these. I'm not a fan of the "crunchy" pellets. have thought about a core surrounded by high density foam. It may depend on how functional you're looking for. i.e. full size adult to sit on? Hollow box covere with foam, coiled cardboard, small exersize ball etc. Good luck, lets know what you end up using, please!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It would probably be as expensive as the bean bag, but....how about a roll of bubble wrap? I think you can buy it at Staples or other office supply stores, and it would be light-weight.

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
Package should save enough to fill x amount of space. I would buy more than I think I need and return the extra. Not so practical if you buy online.
Fricia said:
No milk crate. Pattern is in shape of "tube". How do I judge amount of stuffing etc

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You ladies are great. Never even thought about foam or bubble wrap or an exercise ball. I need this to be rather sturdy for husband to rest feet on. Doesn't care for a lounge chair with the flip up footrest. Do I need liner with any of these! Btw...I am in Michigan and stores are readily available. We even have a foam factory by us. Wonder if they would cut to fit.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
How about something you can use if it doesn't work out...like pellets for pellet stoves...Shavings for horse or dog stalls...mulch OR I always have several old discarded pillows around that I think I might 'need' or go back to...you could stuff with them as they are or shred them (by hand, I guess). How about blanket (or yarn!) storage....What about those egg crate toppers for beds, maybe cut in strips to use as a 'form' and fill the the middle with more of the same. Check out the dollar store, you might find something cheap and perfect. Have I tried any or these? No, just brain storming.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Fricia said:
You ladies are great. Never even thought about foam or bubble wrap or an exercise ball. I need this to be rather sturdy for husband to rest feet on. Doesn't care for a lounge chair with the flip up footrest. Do I need liner with any of these! Btw...I am in Michigan and stores are readily available. We even have a foam factory by us. Wonder if they would cut to fit.
Upside down waste paper basket along with foam padding for top and sides? Glue it on.

Edited to add: Large kitty litter pail or industrial pails like we use for our tomato plants?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
LorettaHR said:
It would probably be as expensive as the bean bag, but....how about a roll of bubble wrap? I think you can buy it at Staples or other office supply stores, and it would be light-weight.
I have used bubble wrap to stuff things like a needlepoint Halloween figure, etc., to make them stand up. Remember though if it is something you sit or put any pressure on, you get the snap-crackle-pop effect.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Fricia said:
You can get foam sections at Joann Fabrics and they will cut to size you are buying with a special tool - so no waste. Get the 40% off coupons in your weekly paper or online and its a deal.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Fricia said:
I just finished crocheting a large pouf..foot stool. The directions say to buy a bean bag chair and insert it. Don't want to do that. I've thought about making a liner instead and filling it with.....what? Any suggestions or hints? Help please.
Take a look at the polyester fill you put in pillows. It comes in different size bags, is washable most of the time, and non allergic. You can find at most craft or sewing stores.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, love the pillows idea. We have four bedrooms and just made two in to an exercise room and music room. I have loads of pillows left over. Going to try that first and see how it works. Might tack them together so they don't fall over. I even have large body pillows. Maybe use foam around sides. I LOVE these ideas. Thank you soooooo much.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one I'm making has a circular top and bottom. I also have comforters galor and puffy matress pads from the two unused bedrooms, that I could make into a lining. Those sights are very helpful. Just a little to go on the bottom and I'm finished. Am so excited about putting these ideas to work.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It sounds like you're making a short cylinder. the bubble wrap rolled with thin cardboard could work, a simple wrap of fabric to blend or contrast your stiches would be good. Wrap and fold down for a no sew. Bean bag pellets or packing peanuts would eventually compress and you'd have to restuff. (P.S. I've worked as a conservationist on antique furniture, I've seen it all) kids have been given projects of hold up a brick with soda straws. So using them in short upright lengths is somewhat like the rolling the bubble wrap and cardboard together in a spiral. Do post some pics when your done!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good thought. My cylinder has a 28" diameter and is 24" high on the sides. When stuffed, I'm sure the sides will plump out a bit like a high donut. My husband has bouts of gout now and then, and needs something soft under his foot. Does your idea work with that? Your idea sounds very logical.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom