Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Lynn Phipps. I have a son by the name of Charlie, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. He told me that the last time he was deployed to Afghanistan, he lived with his feet being cold all the time in the winter. I am knitting wool socks for him, but I would also like to send socks to all the men in his unit. As I am relatively new to sock knitting, I cannot knit enough socks for roughly 200 men. If you are able to help, Lion Brand Yarn has a Sock- ease yarn that will make one pair of socks. They only have the color 'Marshmallow', but it can be dyed. The guys can only have olive drab, Khaki tan or black. Rit dye has a formula page on their website. I would greatly appreciate any help given. I have a friend who will help dye the socks sent to me, and also have a group that will help me send them to the boys. Thank you in advance to all who are able to help. My address is as follows: (address removed)

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
What a wonderful project..... Just a little note though.... It would be best to ask people to PM you... we are not supposed to post personal info like an address in the open forum.... Just a safety issue..... You can ask Admin to remove that for you and then restate OR you an fix it yourself if you are less tahn an hour from your original post.... Hope you get loads and loads of sox.....

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Rit dye contains the chemicals to dye protein AND cellulose; what doesn't get absorbed by your fabric goes down the drain. Since sock ease is wool/nylon all it needs is a dye for protein fabrics (like kool-aid). So you could use a non-wasteful dye, if you can get the right color formula.

According to the Internet sock-ease has aloe vera in it --- you'll need to wash that out for the dye to take.

A girlfriend's step-brother was deployed to Afghanistan in 2007 so we knitted over a dozen helmet liners and sent them directly to his unit. When she asked him how he liked them, he said they'd give them all to the locals!

Good luck with your project :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
aislynnd said:
Hi. My name is Lynn Phipps. I have a son by the name of Charlie, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. He told me that the last time he was deployed to Afghanistan, he lived with his feet being cold all the time in the winter. I am knitting wool socks for him, but I would also like to send socks to all the men in his unit. As I am relatively new to sock knitting, I cannot knit enough socks for roughly 200 men. If you are able to help, Lion Brand Yarn has a Sock- ease yarn that will make one pair of socks. They only have the color 'Marshmallow', but it can be dyed. The guys can only have olive drab, Khaki tan or black. Rit dye has a formula page on their website. I would greatly appreciate any help given. I have a friend who will help dye the socks sent to me, and also have a group that will help me send them to the boys. Thank you in advance to all who are able to help. My address is as follows: (address removed)
How well and quickly will wool socks dry? Maybe this isn't the best choice of yarn. Hopefully others on this sight can add some information because, unfortunately, a good share of the countries represented on KP have been involved in these most recent wars.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
AmyClaire said:
Wool wicks away moisture and dries very quickly. That's why it's been used for socks for centuries.

Cotton absorbs moisture and hangs on to it. Not sure why we use it for socks other than marketing hype.
Cotton also whisks away moisture. That's why it is the fabric used by the Arabs for their clothing. It does take a long time to dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom