Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the pattern calls for a 16" size 5mm could I get away with a 24" my Addi 16" is bamboo, but I have a 24" Addi turbo which I think I would be more comfortable with, but is the cord too long? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
B4 said:
the pattern calls for a 16" size 5mm could I get away with a 24" my Addi 16" is bamboo, but I have a 24" Addi turbo which I think I would be more comfortable with, but is the cord too long? Thanks.
24" is too long unless you are able to do the magic loop method of making the hat. I personally use my 29" for magic looping hats.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jenny, the pattern calls for 100 stitches, I was just hoping I could use the 24" size 5mm needle, but I can do magic loop, thank you for replying so quickly
as the band is done and now I'm on to the hat.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
Using 24 inch for magic loop is a stretch, doesn't handle well, not long enough to keep loops from stretching stitches in my experience. You could try a traveling loop-- look up You-tube vids on it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
use both of them.
2 circs work fine. Even if they're different ( bamboo, wood) that's close enuf no biggie.
If they're interchangables, use 2 cables with 1 of the same size tips on each cable.
on the other end of the cables, use a size needle smaller.
the length of the cables won't matter, the smaller needles are easier to knit off of, and you can use whatever type needles you like on the knitting end.
When whatever gets too small for the needles, just switch to dpns.
Cat Bordhi has a video that shows how to knit with 2 circs.
And, if you forget to switch needles, no biggie, just keep knitting with the needle you forgot about till they're about halfway even on the piece of knitting.
Have fun! Its only a piece of string and 2 sticks.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
krashdragon said:
use both of them.
2 circs work fine. Even if they're different ( bamboo, wood) that's close enuf no biggie.
If they're interchangables, use 2 cables with 1 of the same size tips on each cable.
on the other end of the cables, use a size needle smaller.
the length of the cables won't matter, the smaller needles are easier to knit off of, and you can use whatever type needles you like on the knitting end.
When whatever gets too small for the needles, just switch to dpns.
Cat Bordhi has a video that shows how to knit with 2 circs.
And, if you forget to switch needles, no biggie, just keep knitting with the needle you forgot about till they're about halfway even on the piece of knitting.
Have fun! Its only a piece of string and 2 sticks.
Thanks everyone for replying, I have a 5mm from my set so I did magic loop, its looking not bad, using both of my hands for stranded knitting, making the buffalo hat, I have a nice fluffy pom pom for the top.I'm using a 40" cord.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
B4 said:
Thanks everyone for replying, I have a 5mm from my set so I did magic loop, its looking not bad, using both of my hands for stranded knitting, making the buffalo hat, I have a nice fluffy pom pom for the top.I'm using a 40" cord.
to bring a smile to your face, my hubby has been busy, figuring out how we will give the kids there treats without having to get to close on Halloween night, its almost finished, thought I would share, we will drop the treat down the pvc pipe, and it will come through the pumpkins mouth, Happy Halloween everyone. Stay safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
Kansas g-ma said:
Using 24 inch for magic loop is a stretch, doesn't handle well, not long enough to keep loops from stretching stitches in my experience. You could try a traveling loop-- look up You-tube vids on it.
Travelling loop is the only way I would expect a 24 inch to work for a hat -too long to fit the stitches around and too short for magic loop.

Edit I see you used a longer cord and it is looking good.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
B4 said:
You could do the Traveling Loop technique, however you may need DPNs to finish the top.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
B4 said:
Glad you got it sorted out....i prefer to use the Magic loop for things in the round, I do have tips and cords to make from a 8inch circular needle right up to whatever size I might need but usually just get my longer cord out for the ML

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
B4 said:
to bring a smile to your face, my hubby has been busy, figuring out how we will give the kids there treats without having to get to close on Halloween night, its almost finished, thought I would share, we will drop the treat down the pvc pipe, and it will come through the pumpkins mouth, Happy Halloween everyone. Stay safe.
Very creative :sm24:

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
i am assuming you are talking about a circular knitted hat. From my experience in knitting hats ( and many of them! ), the 16" circular knitting needles will be good for 64 stitches or more. Less than this amount, the stitches will be needing to be stretched to knit them, creating a problems with how the stitches look and taking away from you the comfort in doing the knitting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom