Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I am making a pair of curtains from a Knit Pick pattern and it calls for a #6 circular needle and Knit Picks Shine Sport Yar. My husband suggested using Aunt Lydia Crochet Thread instead. Does anyone know what size needle I should use. Will the amount of stitches change also? I can not post the pattern due to CR's, it is on the Knit Picks site under free patterns though. I would apprieciate any hep.
Thank you all so much
Patty1

patty1 said:
I am making a pair of curtains from a Knit Pick pattern and it calls for a #6 circular needle and Knit Picks Shine Sport Yar. My husband suggested using Aunt Lydia Crochet Thread instead. Does anyone know what size needle I should use. Will the amount of stitches change also? I can not post the pattern due to CR's, it is on the Knit Picks site under free patterns though. I would apprieciate any hep.
Thank you all so much
Patty1
I would suggest doing a swatch to see what the difference in gauge is.

:)

Regarding the CW rules. The following is from the KP Forum's Help (rules).

"It's OK to post a link to the author's site that shows the pattern, but don't copy and post the pattern here."

It's a free pattern from Knit Picks and the link is:

http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Dappled_Lace_Caf%C3%A9_Curtain_Pattern__D50576220.html

My opinion is that if you use crochet thread, you would want to use needles for lace weight yarn. That would make your gauge much smaller and you would basically have lace curtains. You would have to work the gauge and add stitches and rows to make the size you need.

I've been admiring that pattern also, and would not consider crochet thread unless it was the larger size 3 and no smaller than US 5 needles.

The tension rods come in several sizes (in diameter) and would certainly hold the 48" x 15" panel in Sport Weight yarn. You'll notice in the pattern that the rod is fairly large.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
So it is all right to post free patterns?
I think I will stay with the yarn the pattern calls for and see what happens. I don't think they would suggest a yarn that would stretch especially for curtains that will be hanging.
Thank you so much for your help
Patty1

patty1 said:
So it is all right to post free patterns?
I think I will stay with the yarn the pattern calls for and see what happens. I don't think they would suggest a yarn that would stretch especially for curtains that will be hanging.
Thank you so much for your help
Patty1
It's alright to post a link to patterns, not the copyrighted patterns themselves. The pattern for the curtain even says "share" on the link page.

Good choice is staying with the recommended yarn. If you think the cotton is going to be too heavy, you could find a sport weight yarn with bamboo.

Glad to hear you opted with the called for yarn. Crochet cotton will likely fade faster, as pure cotton is known to do. Particularly items that will be in the sun, such as curtains, you want to avoid anything that will fade quickly or yellow easily.

Fade and discoloration are always a concern when it comes to window treatments. If you notice, higher priced/higher quality, treatments are usually lined, this is to combat the problem of fade/discoloration.

The sun can not only fade colors but cause a "yellowing".

Since you mentioned that you were concerned about stretching--I did see something online about letting your project hang overnight before finishing so that you can see if it needs to be longer, shorter. Also, if you have ever made dishcloths out of cotton, you will know that after it is wet, it drys better laid flat.

Regarding the fading, I'd thought about that also, because I have a kitchen that is basically white with black appliances, and touches of red. I was thinking of red for the yarn for that curtain, but haven't decided because of the fading. I have window film on some other windows and am thinking of putting film on the kitchen window also. Just a thought.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom