Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my birthday, my DH bought me a copy of Barbara Abbey's Knitting Lace. Most of the patterns she talks about using two steel needles in a size 14. I have looked online and it seems that in the U.S. this is equivalent to a size 00. Any suggestions on which ones to buy? I know that JoAnn's and Michaels sell the sock needle sets with this size in a 7 inch dpn, but should I look for a circular in 00, or something else?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
What kind of yarn will you be using? I follow Barbara Abbey's directions but when coming to choosing needles I consider yarn first then go for needles later. If recommended from manufacturer for 2.00 mm. I will go for 2.00 mm bigger that is 4.00 mm, I want lightweight and airy for lace.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying so soon. I plan to use bedspread weight cotton first, then I may move down to #20 or #30 weight. I don't know if my hands and eyes would hold up to the #50 or #70 weight.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'd go for circulars rather than a set of sock DPNs -- sock needles are for small projects while circs can be used for large or small projects.

If you think you will make some small projects on circs using a magic loop, get a longer circ (40 inches is good) so you have room to pull your cable out and move your needle freely. (think of a chained pen at the bank - the extra length makes small loops easier, not harder)

Chiagoo have nice tips.

If you spring for Addi, be sure to get the lace tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom