Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have sock patterns, but a big problem with circular needles---which I have different sizes.I always give up after a few rows,because my yarn is so tight on the needle I can't move it. I would buy the size 12" , but wonder if those would work.I try to work the yarn so it isn't so tight. But no luck. I would love to make socks for my family for winter time, but doubt if I can.(boo hoo). Guess I,ll have to make hats &scarves (again). I did make apair of 2needle socks once & used them for slippers. Oh we'll any suggestion would be appreciated(I can do a little work on 4 needles but the first few rows are messy.)Thanks for any help. Phyllis

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would try to do it al by the Magic Loop.it really does work for the tiniest diameters. I did sleeves with a 20 stitch cast on and knitted in the round with magic loop. superb result. If you want a shorter cable, I would not go shorter than a 60cm / 24inches.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Phyllis, you might want to check out making socks from the toe up using Judy's Magic Cast On. I am just starting to make socks and that is what I decided to do. It works like a dream. I am also using the magic loop method. There is less fussing about to avoid ladders. You can find the cast on method on you tube.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
just made a sock for size 7yr. socks. was 48 stitches and fingering yarn worked fine, but there is a difference in needles. I used both bamboo and chiagoo. there is not a question about using the chiagoo. no comparison at all. It goes so much better.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The circular I am using for the socks is the Chiagoo - and they are very nice - I love the bend in them which seems to make it easier since the sock and needles are so small.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Phyllis, If first few rows look messy try putting all stitches on one needle and knit one or two (I do two) rows straight. Then transfer to your dpn. There will be a little gap that can be stitched with tail of yarn when you are finished. I also do this with circ. needles.

·
Registered
529 Posts
AmyKnits said:
I just made some socks for a 6 month old baby and used my 9" circular.... so quick and easy. Addi also makes an 8" needle (I had owned for knitting mittens) IF you need to make them even tinier. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Amyknits, they are awesome little socks, though I don't understand how you can knit those on 9 inch needles.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
ForgetfulFi said:
Amyknits, they are awesome little socks, though I don't understand how you can knit those on 9 inch needles.
I had to check my "notes". Since I started making socks of all sizes from my son's size 15 down to these little ones.... I HAVE to put everything down or my blonde brain won't remember!

CO 32 stitches VERY loosely using a long tail cast on using a US2 needle. Knit 5 rounds, next round, K2tog, yo, Knit 5 rounds. 1x1 ribbing 5 rounds, Knit 5 rounds (this is all the picot cuff)

Then follow this chart to knit the sock.....

http://files.meetup.com/355706/Basic%20Sock%20Chart.pdf

Use dpns to decrease for the toe. Turn cuff under at K2tog, yo row and whip stitch inside.

If you REALLY have to.. some people have trouble with the CO row not spanning the needle. I cast on loosely and have no trouble.... you CAN cast on with a larger needle size.

Easy peasy. I can knit one of these little guys in about an hour... a pair in an evening. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I too used this chart to make my grandson some socks. I used 9" circs worked very well used 48 cast on stitches.
AmyKnits said:
I had to check my "notes". Since I started making socks of all sizes from my son's size 15 down to these little ones.... I HAVE to put everything down or my blonde brain won't remember!

CO 32 stitches VERY loosely using a long tail cast on using a US2 needle. Knit 5 rounds, next round, K2tog, yo, Knit 5 rounds. 1x1 ribbing 5 rounds, Knit 5 rounds (this is all the picot cuff)

Then follow this chart to knit the sock.....

http://files.meetup.com/355706/Basic%20Sock%20Chart.pdf

Use dpns to decrease for the toe. Turn cuff under at K2tog, yo row and whip stitch inside.

If you REALLY have to.. some people have trouble with the CO row not spanning the needle. I cast on loosely and have no trouble.... you CAN cast on with a larger needle size.

Easy peasy. I can knit one of these little guys in about an hour... a pair in an evening. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom