Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason I cannot wrap my brain around this.. can someone help me out? It is the increases I cannot get straight...the part between the smiley faces..tried to make print dif color.. couldn't figure that out either...LOL...thanks in advance for the help

Beginning at cuff and using smaller needles, cast on 54 sts and work in k2,p2 ribbing for 3". :oops: Change to larger needles, and knitting across next row, increase 20 sts evenly. Purl across next row, again increasing 20, then knit across next row increasing 19sts.-113 sts. :oops: Purl one row.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,229 Posts
To calculate increases: http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/tools/IncreaseEvenlySpace.html

Or you can do as I've always done - just make tally marks on a sheet of paper and place your increases/decreases more or less evenly across them. Using pencil makes correcting easier.

In case you're not clear on your actual pattern, you are instructed to increase from 54 stitches to 74 stitches on a knit row; from 74 to 94 on a purl row; and finally from 94 to 113 on a knit row.

Hope something helps!

·
Registered
13,818 Posts
I agree with Jessica Jean, even though it can be time consuming, you can see what you're going to be doing and it will come out beautifully even. For a rule of thumb--if I have 54 stitches and need to increase by 20, I would divide 54 by 20+ a little over 2.5, So, for every two and a half stitches I know I'm going to need an increase. But since we can't increase in half a stitch, I know I would have to be making increases every second and then third stitches most of the way around. This all sounds so complicated, but it really isn't. The next row you'll have 74 stitches. Now divide that by the number of new increases (20), so 74 divided by 20, would be a little over 3 znc 1/2, so then you know you'll increase every third or fourth stitch. Then you'll have 94 stitches, and divide that by 19 for your next row of increases. Is this making any sense?! I hope so!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! Thanks everyone, I am copying all these replies and putting them with that pattern and in my 'help' file.. (did I say I almost flunked math in school....LOL!!) and I don't think I see numbers like other people for some reason...

Thanks again
Sherry and Ms Smiley the service dog

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@joycevv

can you tell me what the znc is please? thanks

would be a little over 3 znc 1/2, so then you know you'll increase every third or fourth stitch

this is a pretty lacy shrug - generous from top to bottom esp for a plus size gal like me.. a freebie pattern too! and I have found some RED!!! yarn that I want to make it out of... you know the poem that says 'I shall wear red and purple together'... well I am in that 'mode' right now... :lol:

but then I will make another one out of a more errr conventional color for special occasions, the red one will be my everyday wear

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
The first time I did this an experienced knitter gave me this method.

Example: You are to pick up and knit 28 sts across a specific span.

1. fold span in half and mark halfway mark.
2. Fold those 2 halves in half and mark those halfway marks.
3. You now have 4 sections.
4. Divide 28 by 4 = 7
5. Pick up and knit 7 sts evenly within each of the 4 sections.

NOTE: You can divide into as many sections as you need to reduce the st count per section. You are not limited to just 4.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks..bunches, now it makes sense.. at that time of the am.. who can see????

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@headlemk... thanks for your formula.. I have it saved with the rest of this info so generously given to me.. again.. thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
13,818 Posts
Thanks for posting the pattern. It's funny, when you go to ravelry it says it's free, and then when you try to download, it went to the whitelies link and wanted $2! I downloaded it off the first link you sent though.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know, I left a comment on it several months ago and when I went back to look, someone had posted the link to get it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom