Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I purchased a skein of yarn from a yarn store for a newborn cap. Unfortunately my great-great niece passed away before I got stitch one done.
The clerk wrote on a slip of paper Cast On 72, knit 18 rows.
Failed to tell me needle size or the balance of the directions.
I am hoping someone can help me so I can still make use of the yarn. Many thanks.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( Your needle size is suggested on the yarn label then do a test swatch. After 18 rows, you'd probably decrease or you cap will be square/rectangular over garter stitch, etc.

You can measure the length 18 rows gives you = about 5 1/2 inches for a newborn - and if you don't have that length, you can add more rows. If you don't want it square, etcc., consider decreasing but factor in what that will create to the length.

You're going to knit this cap on two single point needles, right? You can knit flat with circulars, too.

If you want a fresh newborn pattern, you can surf for:

newborn knit cap pattern

.......and find plenty to pan through.

If you really want to knit all rows, add garter stitch to your keyword search.

Knittingpatterncentral.com would no doubt show up in your url search. It's a fun place to pan through.
~~~~~~~
Baker said:
A few years ago I purchased a skein of yarn from a yarn store for a newborn cap. Unfortunately my great-great niece passed away before I got stitch one done.
The clerk wrote on a slip of paper Cast On 72, knit 18 rows.
Failed to tell me needle size or the balance of the directions.
I am hoping someone can help me so I can still make use of the yarn. Many thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Donna:
I am sorry but I am fairly new to the site and don't have a clue on how to send you a private message.
I thank you for the help.
I hope to knit the cap on a circular needle.
I have never knitted a newborn cap so don't know if 51/2" is average size or if I should knit a little longer.
I assume you decrease every other row.
Once I get a few instructions I am good to go.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Hey, just look left to the user's ID, click on it to send a private message......get inside and click on PM, when it draws, fill in the SUBJECT line, etc........
Yes, a 6 x 6 is a common size for an average newborn or the size of a grapefruit.....orange for an average preemie if I remember right.....they come in all sizes, of course.

Yes, 5 1/2 inches or six is a good length unless you want it to have a fold up brim......

So, do you want to no-go the present pattern idea you have? If so, tell me if you know the purl stitch, the YO, etc., and I'll go looking for a pattern for you. I just need to know your experience level, really.

Also, circulars......do you want to do row work or knit it in the round, what kind of brim......?

So, let me know. I'm here and hubbby's cooking din-din! LOL!
~~~~~

Baker said:
Donna:
I am sorry but I am fairly new to the site and don't have a clue on how to send you a private message.
I have never knitted a newborn cap so don't know if 51/2" is average size or if I should knit a little longer.
Baker said:
Donna:

·
Registered
926 Posts
e.ridenh said:
((((((( Hey, just look left to the user's ID, click on it to send a private message......get inside and click on PM, when it draws, fill in the SUBJECT line, etc........
Yes, a 6 x 6 is a common size for an average newborn or the size of a grapefruit.....orange for an average preemie if I remember right.....they come in all sizes, of course.

Yes, 5 1/2 inches or six is a good length unless you want it to have a fold up brim......

So, do you want to no-go the present pattern idea you have? If so, tell me if you know the purl stitch, the YO, etc., and I'll go looking for a pattern for you. I just need to know your experience level, really.

Also, circulars......do you want to do row work or knit it in the round, what kind of brim......?

So, let me know. I'm here and hubbby's cooking din-din! LOL!
~~~~~

Baker said:
Donna:
Baker said:
Donna:
Preemie is the size of a normal orange, I've made a couple hundred of them. Debbie

·
Registered
926 Posts
Preemie size should be 10 1/2" around and 4" high
Prremie to Newborn 12" around and 5" high
Newborn 13 1/2" around and 5 1/2" high

These are the sizes given to me by Nurses for Newborns

I don't have a specific pattern to knit one, but made up my own pattern for a crocheted hat in each of the sizes. There are a lot of patterns on lionbrand.com
Debbie

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You might try CO the same number of sts and work in a K2,P2 rib around. It looks really nice in the round, but you might have to adjust the st number to make it come out even on the ribs. Basically, you work in pat until it gets about 1-2" from desired length and then dec by K2tog then P2tog for about 1/2"-1" Then making it stockinette for another 1/2-1" and draw it tog at the top through the last row instead of BO. Sorry this is a recipe as it needs to be proportioned to the size of the head. The advantage to this pat is that it "grows" w/ the child if it's not too tight to begin w/. Hope this helps you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hi,
The pattern I have is one that some of the volunteers use to make and donate baby hats to our hospital. It goes like this:

(recommended yarn is Bernat Softee Baby or Red Heart TLC Light Sport)
On size 4 needles cast on 72 stitches
K1, P1 rib for 6 rows
change to stockinette stitch and work until total length is 4 inches
Decrease rows:
Row 1 *knit 6, k2tog* across
Row 2 and all even rows, purl
Row 3 *knit 5, k2tog* across
Row 5 *knit 4, k2tog* across
Row 7 *knit 3, k2tog* across
Row 9 *knit 2, k2tog* across
Row 11 *knit 1, k2tog* across
final row is k2tog across
cut yarn leaving a long tail, weave through remaining stitches, sew seam
Hope this helps and you can adapt to a circular needle by knitting every row and not purling. I've not tried this pattern but have seen hundreds of hats made with it and it looks great and fits great! Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom