Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Knitters everywhere. Been knitting for 54 years. Wow - when I put it that way, even I think I sound old. Oh well - at least I am still knitting. I knit by hand, slowly because of arthritis. AND, I knit by machine. Nothing fancy - but I do like shawls. I crochet a little, and I especially would like to learn to make nice edgings, so that the knitting looks good. The intricate edgings that I see on my Grandmother's linens would be just fine if I could figure them out. This year, I want to knit myself a Chanel suit - by machine, mostly. I have always liked pleated skirts, but on a machine that would require a ribber, and I never learned to use mine. So, I think that tucking a mock pleat would be best.

By the way - did anyone find that penguin hat pattern? I have a friend who collects penguins, and she would look adorable in one of those hats, and so would her grand-daughter.

Emily Rose

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deemail -
FABULOUS !!! I just went to Knittingdaily, and could not remember my password, so they are sending me one, etc... The skirt is FABULOUS [I use that word a lot] - and I am definitely going to try it.

I am actually trying to get together as many different techniques as I can find to make pleats without using a ribber.

I know that this irrational fear of my ribber is silly, but there you have it.

I will definitely let you know how it works out. WOW - I cannot believe all of the beautiful sweaters on Knitting Daily - I had not been on in quite a while.

Why are there so many sites and projects and not enough time to do them all?

I am also trying to figure out how to carve sea shells. I want to try my hand at making cameos for me. I some little old italian men can do it, then so can I ! Perhaps not as well, but that is the price one must pay for excellence, creativity and genious - at least that is what I say.

So if anyone out there knows how to carve sea shells without cracking them, drop me a line.

And thank you for the pattern site. It is really wonderful. Done in the same color, it would be fabulous, just FABU !!!

Emily Rose
deemail said:
http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/27919.aspx

have a look at this sideways, pleated skirt...they have done by hand to get the pleated feature, but you can do the same thing on a machine with short-rowing...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Capva -

I am not a snow and ice lover. I suspected that Long Island was a moderate climate and that is why my parents moved here when I was a child. It is less and less temperate as I get older. I still love Long Island, but my bones creak and my arthritis is painful... I long for sunny, not hot, and dry climates, with the promise of a cool breeze; the gentle sounds of the reef lapping up on the beach and NO tornados or unpleasantness at any time. I would also love to have a fabulous garden that actually yields vegetables rather than turns yellow and dies on me.

Oh, if only the perfection of my thoughts were a reality. But, cruely, they are not.

I am a snow and ice coward, and when such weather intrudes on me, I hide in my house, and am thankful that my bosses understand. Of course, it does not usually require this many days off [use of my vacation time !]. but I have no desire to be in an accident.

I am that little old lady puttering on the right side of the highway, hoping that the mean truck bearing down on her will move more than the 5 inches he or she is away from her bumper. I am usually the recipient of many gestures as they pass me. I do hope what they were gesturing was friendship - that is how I take it. And I also pray for them.

So, I do not do well in this weather. And I am generally a very happy person. How is beautiful Virginia? What a wonderfully beautiful state that is. I used to live in Washington, D.C, and did not have a car - so I did not get to see as much as I would hav wanted. But it is a very pretty place.

Emily Rose

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jenny Line - or Jennie from Indiana - Thank you for the welcome. I would love to go to visit Indiana - it is the home of the Schaeffer's in Peru, Indiana. They are fabulous machine knitters and teachers. If you go to Tricia Schaeffer's site or to her mom, Charlene Schaeffer's site, or just put in her information, you will pop up with her and her parent;s sites. They have literally published hundreds of pamphlets on machine knitting, and all sorts of equipment - and they are a pleasure to deal with. I have always wanted to wander around their store, but I know that I would be bankrupt with the purchases that I would make. But what a way to go !

Emily Rose

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dear Knitter Mama -

Thank you for the welcome. What kinds of things have you been knitting lately?

I stick to rectangles and squares. I have recently been using lots of my stash yarn, and combining them into striped scarves for the local children's center where I work.

I use a tuck stitch to avoid the edges curling, and it gives them a little body too. I do them on a bulky knitting machine, and I put junky yarn or thick thread between the scarves as they come off the machine so that I can make one huge long snake-like scarf separated when they to be about 48 inches long, and then I have another one after that one. I use up bags and bags of yarn, and I get to use my stash, a child gets a scarf that is really colorful and different, and kids love color, and a cold child is made warm. It a win all the way around.

I do the same thing for hats, and make lots of seamens caps that way. For younger kids, I put all sorts of corkscrews on top on the corners of the hats - the wilder the better.

For gloves I go to WalMart - where I can get two pairs for $1.40. So, if I want to get 100 pair, then it is relatively cheap.

Of course, I only pick the gloves that are the wildest colors - cause kids like color.

I have no kids, but I like the idea that they are warmly dressed. That is important.

Thanks for the welcome. Emily Rose

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Hey Long Island. I am a bit north of you in Ulster County. Boy has this been a snowy winter. We have been so spoiled for the last 15 yrs without much snow.

I deal with the cold in different way healthwise which has made it easier for me. But sitting indoors knitting/crocheting certainly makes the grayer days pass quickly.

But just think, it is now light out at 5 PM and March is less than 4 weeks away. Can't wait to get into my garden!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Back to you Emily Rose,

I'm not a big fan of cold, snow or ice (think I covered it all) But when I lived on LI it usually wan't too bad. Moved 15yrs ago to Va. and love it here......BUT this winter has been cold and windy here! The weather has been changing all over. For the worse.....
I don't have to go out in any weather so I am happy to stay in and knit.
Take care

·
Registered
463 Posts
here is the penguin hat pattern for you

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/free-hat-knitting-patterns4.htm

Emily Rose said:
Hello Knitters everywhere. Been knitting for 54 years. Wow - when I put it that way, even I think I sound old. Oh well - at least I am still knitting. I knit by hand, slowly because of arthritis. AND, I knit by machine. Nothing fancy - but I do like shawls. I crochet a little, and I especially would like to learn to make nice edgings, so that the knitting looks good. The intricate edgings that I see on my Grandmother's linens would be just fine if I could figure them out. This year, I want to knit myself a Chanel suit - by machine, mostly. I have always liked pleated skirts, but on a machine that would require a ribber, and I never learned to use mine. So, I think that tucking a mock pleat would be best.

By the way - did anyone find that penguin hat pattern? I have a friend who collects penguins, and she would look adorable in one of those hats, and so would her grand-daughter.

Emily Rose

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi Emily Rose,
Thanks for replying to my message.

Virginia has been "very" cold and windy this winter.

With all this cold and snow it's the best reason to stay indoors and enjoy our hobbies. I knit (my first love) and do some crochet. I have been hoping to try knitting socks. We have a couple places here that I can go for lessons so am thinking about that.

Good luck with all your projects

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Hi,
I'm Linda a long time LI resident, Started in Levittown, moved to Seaford. Married moved to Medford/ divorceed. Now for the last 10 yrs live here in Ct with my daughter and sil.
I knit for sanity...MINE.
It takes time and stick to it ness.
Keep trying you can do it.
I have dear dear friends in Bayport.
Linda

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Hi, not from Bayport but me BFF lives there, on the corner with the French Resturaunt.

I lived in Medford, but am in CT. now.
Linda

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom