Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-( I am still new at knitting, I have a problem that I can't seem to solve My finished end it 3 to 4 inches shorter than the beginning. (this is a throw) I bound off very loosely
1 I have checked for dropped stitches (none)
2 I have checked folded up the beginning end and it seems the last 6 or so inches is where the problem might have happend but for the life of me I see nothing to where I may have gone wrong.
Please Help!!!!!!! New from Oregon

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
It's likely that as you knit over time your tension changed so that by the time you got to the end of your throw your stitches were tighter than when you began. That is something that will even out with time and practice. If you ended up with the right number of stitches then you most likely did nothing wrong - you just got more comfortable knitting and settled into a tension that was a little different than when you started. Don't get discouraged - the next one is sure to be better! :) Happy knitting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
:roll: I have done the same thing when makeing an afghan mine was narrower at one end then the other end. I laid mine out and looked to see where it started narrowing I unraveled the yarn to a couple rows past where it started narrowing then I counted to see if I had the right number of stitches if I didnt I would take out rows until I did. My mistake was once in a while I didnt work or lost the last stitch. So when I started knitting again every couple of rows I would make sure I had the right number of stitches when I finished both ends were the same. Dont know if this will help, but that is what my problem was. I hpe you find out where the problem is. Good luck p.s. I am from Oregon also. Have a beautiful day

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advice I will start ripping haha I had thought of taking stitches out but wanted some advice on what might be the cause before I made the same mistake again.
I'm from Lincoln City and where do you reside?
Thanks again New from Oregon

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with TammyK & Love, problem is typically tension change or stitch change. Don't worry, we all have had those days that it just didn't go right and have to rip back. Ripping out is worth it because you'll never be happy with it unless you do.
Another suggestion is each time you begin to work pay attention to your tension (how are you holding your yarn, is it the same position in your hand/fingers as before, is it as loose or tight as before, does the needle slide in and out with the same ease of completing the stitch). Once you have completed a row or two you should be back in the rhythm you established before, making it less likely to have big tension differences.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Another trick I've learned over the years is to run a different colored yarn through all the stitches on yuour last row of knitting every so often so when you have to rip, you'll have an 'anchored' row to use for pickup. This is particularly handly when knitting a fairly difficult pattern, sich as lace work.

I'm new here and from Oregon, also. Portland

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hello new in Oreg, from the frigid state of So Dakota.
This is a problem that all knitters run into once in a while. When life is stressful, your gauge will be different, when you have a glass of wine or other spirits, your gauge will be off, etc, etc. There are many reasons why an item will start out and end differently, so it is a good idea to check your
1. the number of sts on a row to make sure you haven't dropped or added any
2. if doing a stitch pattern and you know the number in each repeat, check to see they are correct
3. if you have a wider or narrower, taller or shorter, section all of a sudden, check to see if you might have picked up a different size needle to work with (don't ask how I discovered this problem)
4.Check to make sure you have used the same yarn all the way through a project. Even experienced knitters who have several projects going in the same color can pick up the wrong skein
Just a few things to watch out for. By the way I wish I still lived in Oregon. Was born and raised within 30 miles of Portland but explored most of the state throughout the 40 years I lived there and would give anything to be able to come back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I am also new to the site and also live in Oregon in Springfield. I do not have any thing to add to what the others have said. Just wanted to say Hi to another Oregonian. I have the tendency to bind off tight. I will use a needle one size larger to bind off and then it is pretty good.

Annie

·
Registered
180 Posts
About beginning knitting: my friend, Pat, is a talented actress and was in the Agatha Christie play 10 Little Indians. She had the part of a bitter spinster who knits. So I taught her how to knit and at each practice and performance she would click away looking like she new what she was doing. The thing grew and grew. It also grew narrower and wider and very holey where she'd accidentally added stitches.

If getting narrower is your only problem you're doing okay and the next one is bound to be better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom