Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Lesley and Ive waited until I reached the age of 52 before I learnt to knit!!!!!! what have I been missing I am now a confirmed addict, I am self taught so need lots of help and have been pickin up hints and tips of the internet so any helpful pointers will be gratefully received. Happy Knitting everyone :D

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Hi Lesley,
I too just joined here and just taught myself to knit n the past year. I find so many wonderful tutorials on you tube. I must say I wish I had picked up the needles years ago cause I just love it!
Happy knitting to you
knitgirl389

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I'm knitting one for my boyfriend that's simple but comes out looking very nice. Here's the pattern for the basic stitch: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/basketweave3.htm
Just knit up a small sample with the yarn and needles you're going to use to get your gauge and then multiply to get the size you want. (If you don't know what I mean, ask). The pattern I'm using also instructs to knit the first 5 stitches on each row to make a garter stitch border. I'm knitting it with 2 strands of yarn together and it feels like it will be nice and warm!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome....I'm not a new knitter, but did put down the needles for a lot of years and never did get past the k & P knitting when I did it. We have lot's of wonderful helpers on this site to help us when we need it...it's great! : )

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Lesley, be proud of yourself for learning something new. My mom & 2 sisters were avid knitters but I never had the patience to just sit & learn till the first time my husband went over seas (Air Force) I bought a learn how to knit book, set of needles and 1 skein of yarn. Picked a simple yeah, not, pattern for a scarf. knit and ripped till that yarns was shreds but learned how to do it. When my mom was in her 80's she lived with us and I taught her to crochet. You're just never to old to learn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi lesley, Im new to this forum but I have been knitting for over 30 yrs. I also taught myself. I borrowed a childrens learn to knit book from our libary and taught myself to knit when having my first baby. Now I'm knitting for my grandchildren. I have found a lot of free knitting patterns on the web. Some very easy other more complicated. I mostly do my knitting when on night shift at our local hospital. Enjoy your new found skill. Cheers Sybil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom